cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cloning SAP instance on Windows

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi - We have SAP on Windows server and our Database is on Unix. We want to make clone of this whole environment. From DB perspective it is easy - we can copy the database to another Unix Server. What do we have to do from Windows/SAP side?

Can we just copy the binaries to another Windows server or do we need to install SAP from scratch?

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sammy,

Please refer

[original link is broken]

Cheers

Deepanshu

Former Member
0 Kudos

From Windows/SAP perspective you can do it in two ways either running the SAP Inst or the folder copy option. As per me the folder copy option is easier than running SAP Inst. The steps is as follows.

1. Copy the //server1/<Drive>/usr/sap/<SID> folder to //server2/<Drive>/usr/sap/<SID>

2. Determine the new Instance Number.

3. Rename folder //server2/<Drive>/usr/sap/<SID>/DVBMGxx....where xx is the new Instance no.

4. Go to the profile directory and change the following entries.

a. Replace all entries of the old database server with new database server.

b. Replace all entries of the old SAP binaries server with new SAP binaries server.

c. Replace all old instance number to new Instance number (if old instance no is 00 then change all parameter which are ended with old instance no. i.e. _00)

5. Rename profile files as per new instance no.

6. Run program SAPSTARTSRV.EXE to setup new SAP Services and MMC.

Let me know if you have any concern.

Thanks,

SK

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi SK,

From your answer, it seems pretty straightforward. Am I understanding it correctly? We don't have in-house SAP expertise and we had an outside company give us proposal to do this and needless to say it was ridiculous amount.

What do you think is the total effort involved in making a Clone of complete environment? Is it in hours, days or weeks? Also, if you know of any consultants who can work on this, we would love to talk to them?

Thanks again for your response,

Sammy

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sammy,

The method I've described is very straight forward and the quickest method to do the system rebuild. If the outside company asked for a ridiculous amount for the cloning actvity then it's surprising.

It is very difficult to say the total amount of effort needed to perform the activity. It depends on...

1. Database Size that needs to be restored on the DB host and speed of the tape drive.

2. Beside the activity which I've mentioned you have to do some common post system rebuild procedure like license key installation, logical system conversion (if SIDs are different) etc.

Except DB part it's required 3-4 hrs to complete the cloning activity except BDLS conversion.

I don't know any consultant who can work on this and above all this is not the right forum to discuss on this.

Let me know the info provided would be helpful or not.

Cheers,

SK

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi SK,

Thanks for your reply. It is very helpful. So, it looks like the total effort would be:

a) 3-4 hours of effort you have described

b) DB copy - depending upon the size of DB

c) BDLS conversion - proably 6-8 hours

d) Common post system activities like license key installations etc (as you mentioned).

Am I missing anything?

Again, thanks a lot for your help, it is really appreciated.

Sammy

Former Member
0 Kudos

No you are not missing anything.

Rgds,

SK

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I would not clone instances, this is finally "renaming" (after the copy) and is not supported.

Note 8307 - Changing host name on R/3 host: What do you do?

Technically it can be done to get the system up, no doubt.

Don´t forget to change the "services" (change sapms/tcp)

Markus