cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PI 7.1 installation - Upgrade or Phase out

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

We are planning to go from PI 7.0 (productive system with 50+ interfaces and about 20k messages/day) to PI 7.1 (EhP1).

SAP suggests the approaches, upgrade and phase out. Can anyone share their experience on the migration from 7.0 to 7.1 ?

TIA,

--pp

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

agasthuri_doss
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hey,

PI 7.1 is based on open, web service enabled standards and Integrate all SAP and non-SAP, A2A, B2B, BPM,& service enabling.

After upgrading to PI 7.1

• All objects in the Integration Repository (IR - Design) are available in the Enterprise SOA Repository (ESR) and can be used without any changes.

• The Integration Directory (ID - Configuration) will not be affected at all ( Where we declare the Sender /Receiver Adapters ).

• Mappings (graphical mapping, XSLT, Java mapping and ABAP mapping) will execute without any change

The Changes required for / after migrating to PI 7.1 from PI 7.0

• Need to Migrate System to 64 bit OS before upgrade PI 7.1 will not support 32 bit OS

• Customer Adapters and Adapter modules have to be adjusted and redeployed

• Java Proxies have to be redeployed because JAVA JVM is installed during upgrade and JAVA JDK not supported at all in PI 7.1

Cheers

Agasthuri Doss

Former Member
0 Kudos

Alright. I presume that not many people completed PI 7.1 Upgrade from PI 7.0. I will share my experience once we cross the bridge.

Anyway, this weekend I am working on the install of PI 7.1 on a Linux server.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

We did it in phase out mode, that is the preferable mode as per my experiance. then also it is also depend on your complexities of interfaces.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for sharing your experience.

Currently we are leaning towards an upgrade path. However, I have not heard anyone completed "upgrade" successfully. Still waiting to hear experiences from experts.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

Upgrade was not very interesting in our case... we finally dropped the plan and went for a new server/ phase out methodology.

It was OK, in one of the trial systems, but even that had some bugs while doing normal development work. considering that those issues would be fixed like any other issues, we proceeded with upgrade for one of our main systems & then we got stranded. all kinds of basis issues etc, then we stopped. ours is from 3.0 to 7.1 (3 or 7 - I dont think it makes any difference, cos the SP is latest)

Now it is a new/different server & fresh installation, we are able to access the system for development work, but yet to tested.

If you have decided to go for upgrade, I would suggest to make a system copy of the existing server and create a trial environment, a replica of a working dev env.. then try upgrade...

Hope this helps

Regards

Vishnu

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Vishnu. Do you know the details of the issues?

Former Member
0 Kudos

well I did nt keep note of those things, was nt very keen on that..basis guys were doing some stuff..

but issues were like, they were stuck often in various steps unable to move further and so on..rather much more than this but as I said, there is no chronology of events, as there were some patch upgrades etc suggested by SAP..going back & forth to different stages etc..

Regards

Vishnu