cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Diff bw Nation.record and Nation.name in fields tab of expressions

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

In my repository i have a mail table lookup field called Nation which is refering a flat lookup table Countries is having a field called name. while writing any condition using he expression editor. in the fields menu Nation field can be taken in twoways. 1.Nation.record(it refering main table Nation field value)

but what Nation.name refers and what purpose we can use that. Any answer would be appreciable.

thanks in advance

Regards

Ravikumar

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Simona,

Thanks for the reply. I know some points like Nation.record refers to Maintable field and Nation.name refers to its corresponding lookup table field name but i want to clear in somemore points like why do we need to write condition on Lookup table fields and if we write any condition how can we execute and monitor the result.

Regards

Ravikumar

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ravi,

Think of a scenario where you have a categories as a lookup table and the requirement is whenever user modifies a record assigned to category1 or category2 then a workflow should get trigger and the record should be moved to Approver1 and if the record belongs to category3 then Approver should be Approver2.

Now in such case you need to write the expressions on lookup table categories like

Category. = and pass this expression to Branch step of workflow which redirects it to respective approver.

Whenever you want to write the expression on lookup field, its always better to select the lookup , also select the value from the lookup table don't write it manually in the expression.

Regards,

Jitesh Talreja

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ravi,

The Record is a virtual field & it represents the record itself.

It is the ID of the lookup or related record itself ........... (I think not Main table)

And it allows you to check if two records are the same.

(From Data Manager Reference Guide)

If u run Assignment instead of validation u will get get what Nation.Record returns & what Nation.Name returns.

Thanks,

Maheshwari

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ravi,

When you are writing an expression on the Lookup field in MDM in your case Nations.

You can select just the lookup field in the validation or the field sin the lookup table as well to which the lookup field is pointing.

So if you select Nation.record it will run the validation on the main table record considering the value just in the Nations lookup field.

But if you select Nations .name it means you are running the validation on the field inside the lookup tabel to which it is pointing and in your case it is the Name field in the coutries lookup table.

Hope It Helped

Thanks & Regards

Simona Pinto