cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAPGUI connection settings - NW7 sneak peak help

Former Member
0 Kudos

I recently obtained SAP NetWeaver 7.0 - Java and ABAP Trial Version on Linux - VMware Edition and set it up to run inside the SuSE Linux VMWare virtual machine. I have brought up the app server and the SAPGUI inside the VM is able to connect. However, I would like to have the app server running in the VM, and to use the SAP GUI in Windows to connect (faster performance, easier to use).

Therefore, I installed SAPGUI 710 and set up the following connection parameters:

Description: N4S Test Drive

Application Server: ivml2005

System Number: 00

System ID: N4S

However, when I go to login, the SAPGUI just hangs there saying "Connecting to system - please wait...". I noticed in the Linux VM that the connection for the SAP GUI Java is:

use expert configuration:

conn=/H/ivml2005/S/3242

Is there anyway I can make it so the SAPGUI in my real Windows installation can connect to the app server running inside the VM? I was able to ping the hostname ivml2005 successfully and was even able to access Portal using that hostname. Somehow, the SAPGUI just isn't connecting to the VM app server.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Benjamin,

In the VM, can you open the ports 3200, 3242, 3299, 3600,3601 in its firewall? I think that should do the trick. Please mark the question as answered if my post solved your question.

Regards,

Veera

Former Member
0 Kudos

Veera, certainly that sounds like a very reasonable solution. Thank you very much for the quick reply! I will try this once I get back home and let you know whether this has solved the issue.

By the way, I am using a router and will open those specified ports (actually, will try opening port ranges 3200-3601). Do you know specifically if I must do anything in Linux (i.e. does the SuSE Linux distribution that came with this trial have any firewall software)? I am fairly new to Linux/UNIX and not sure how their firewall technology works.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I just tried opening the ports and still, SAPGUI for Windows is not connecting. Therefore, I downloaded SAPGUI for Java and ran this (outside the VM). I input exactly what I see in the VM:

Under Expert Mode:

conn=/H/ivml2005/S/3242

and it works!!!

Therefore, something must be wrong with my SAPGUI for Windows settings. I tried the following:

AppServer:  ivml2005
System Number:  00
System ID:  N4S
SAProuter String:  /H/ivml2005/S/3242/H/

I get an error message returned:

NiBufIIn:  invalid data received

How can I translate the SAPGUI Java connection settings to SAPGUI for Windows?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Actually, I have fixed the issue. I found a blog post online and apparently, the System Number was 42. Setting this enabled me to login using SAPGUI 7.10 for Windows.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have sap server and sapgui 72 on VM windows7, but i have the same problem.

"Connecting to system - please wait..."

can you help me?

firewall turn off

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

I don't suppose there was any resolution to this I am getting the same issue where the SAPGUI 720 is just saying "connecting - please wait..."

Also is here a way to confirm the instance number from the Sap management console?

Thanks,

Ben

Former Member
0 Kudos

I also faced the same issue after I stopped in a middle of an upgrade. Can anybody give any hint on the solution of it?

Answers (0)