cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Acknowldegement in asynchronous scenario: is it sync or async

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear community,

in an asynchronous scenario with a fault message type defined for the inbound interface, the handover of a message from XI to receiver consists of two steps:

Step 1: XI will send a message to the receiver

Step 2: The receiver will acknowledge positively or negatively.

Will Step 1 and Step 2 be handeled synchronously or will it be handeled asynchronously for async scenarios ?

The background of this question is resource-related. If the processing of a message is synchronous, processing of these two steps would block resources, which would be problematic for higher volumes.

Logically it seems as if this would all be async but I could not find a detailled spec and I need to know for sure.

Thanks a lot in advance !

Jochen

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

udo_martens
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Jochen,

if you want to have the result of a message at the receiver you have 2 alternatives:

Synchronous:

+You get the errors at once

+You know very soon, what happend

-Bad performance, bcoz processing time may be for minutes stopped

-no connection (receiver offline) leads to an error

Asynchronous with acknowledgement:

-You get only sometimes an error acknowledgement

-The calling programm has no direct information

+Much better performance

+Queing mechanism allows automaticly and manually restart

Usually you try to build, if possible, asynchronous scenarios. But it depends on requirements.

Regards,

Udo

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

STALANKI
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

If the scenario is for ABAP Proxies.

I guess it is going to be synchronous as we will send the acknowledgment in the fault message before the end of asynchronous call method.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

In the case of JDBC adapter if you are sending some message asychronously but have request acknowledgment then internally this is converted to a sychronous call.

hence step1 will wait for step 2 to complete. I am not sure if this is true with all the other adapters but know beyond dout for JDBC adapter.

cheers,

Naveen

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear all,

thanks alltogether for the answers. The last statement is interesting, the synchronousness of the acknowledge depends on the adapter type.

Is JDBC the only exception ? I am actually specifically looking at the proxy scenario. I take it that in that case the ack will be returned asynchronously?

Thanks again!

Jochen

stefan_grube
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

An acknowledgement is sent asynchronously. The receiver of the ack. message is found with help of the hop list of the original message.

Regards

Stefan