cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Detailed Navigation not displaying giving ip address instead of hostname

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

I created applications in web dynpro.So i imported in the Enterprise Portal.

In that I created Role----Under That Worksets (X ,Y ,Z, W) -

For each workset I created more than 4 Pages to that---For each page i added Iview.

I added "IP Address" and "HostName" in the c:/windows/system32/drivers/etc/host

Then i login into the Portal with normal URL

http://<HostName>:50000/irj/portal

So its Displaying.....Up to this its fine...

If suppose i want to login with

http://<IP Address>:50000/irj/portal....Under Each Workset, one page is showing,,,means one Iview is Visible...means Detailed Navigation is not showing.

All Pages are not visible...

Please any one help me to do this....

So its not possible to say to anyone ,,,,u have to add this ip Addrss in the path.

Please Provide the Permanent solution ,,even by giving IP address also all pages and Iviews must see..

Regards

Sushma

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sushma,

I did not get your question properly..do you mean to say that if you give IP instead of hostname the detailed navigation disappears?

Detailed navigation is automatically shown if items are more than 2 levels down in the role. The items lower down in hierarchy will then appear in the detailed navigation.

Regards,

Anagha

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

My question is By giving URL "http://<hostname>:50000/irj/portal"

It is showing all the screens means in detailed navigation, every page is coming.

By giving http://<ipaddress>:50000/irj/portal"""Its showing first page is displaying others not.

Will any one help me how to see all the pages even ipaddress also given in the URL.

Regards

Sushma

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sushma,

It is generally not suggested to use IP address for accessing portal.

Logont ticket problem etc., might occur and Many of the standard applications might not work properly with IP address.

So it is always the best practice to use FQDN of the EP server while accessing though URL.

Cheers,

Santhosh

Edited by: Santhosh Edla on Feb 4, 2009 3:10 PM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Completely agree with Santhosh. You should use FDQN.

Anyways I checked and for me, even with the IP address its working fine and all pages in the workset of my role are shown in detailed navigation.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

In the Detailed Navigation, iF its one page its working fine....If it consists of more than one,,,the first one is displaying for me.

Is there any need to provide settings .

please guide me.

Regards

Sushma

chander_kararia4
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Sushma,

You can use the ip address but some pieces of the portal depend on full hostname resolution ( for domain security) . So Single Sign On to backends will not work properly (if at all) plus Javascript will act funnily in your browser (depending on the settings ).

Also you need to make sure any content in an Iview that is displayed in an Iframe is domain-name resolvable to your browser (e.g. other non-portal hosts ) .

Much better to go through a Reverse Proxy in the DMZ ..see various posts in the Implementation forum .

Regards

Chander Kararia

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

Is it possible giving of ip address instead of hostname . Detailed Navigation will appear or not.

If its possible please tell me where i have to do settings.

If thats not possible,How we can use Enterprise Portal(EP) in Clients Place.

Is there any solution to use EP in the ClientsPlace without giving hostname.

Please any one help me to sort out this.

Regards

Sushma

chander_kararia4
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Sushma,

I am not sure if the same apply when you access the URL through the IP. The SAP BI works on the concept of Fully Qualified domain names for access and also there is a system of web dispatchers which are configured for the domain name to handle report requests.

Also with portal in place you will not be able to see the URL of the application running within portal

for example the URL we see are

ttp://<xyz>.com/irj/portal but then the individual URLs for the applications running within the portal cannot be seen...due to security reasons.

That could be the possible case.

-

Regarding Use of Portal at client place:

1. You can use the VPN connectivity. You will only need to give the access rights to the perticular id & that will be all.

2. Assign the portal port to the some global address. That will work.

But, I suggest, VPN is better.

-

Regards

Chander Kararia

Edited by: Chander Kararia on Feb 6, 2009 11:10 AM

chander_kararia4
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Sushma,

One more thing, the detailed navigation will not come. Reason is same as in above post.

More over, if you run any application, suppose, I created a url iview to open google in seperate window and set the properties as it will open once i click on the workset.

It wont show any detailed navigation

Also, asking a secondary logon.

Regards

Chander

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Chander,

I got information by someone ,,, We have to give Fully Qualified Domain Name (FQDN),,,in the URL....means

http://<***.**.com>:<portname>/irj/portal..

For that we are adding ip addresss in the etc.Instead of adding there , everytime in the everyones PC.Is there any permanent solution .(like the DNS settings which has to be done on the server).

If we are using the server in our company it is possible.But if the client is using or accessing how its possible.What are the changs we have to do in the server or clients place..

Please give required information for me to proceed.

Regards

sushma

former_member182416
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi

You can add the server hostname in DNS , that way it will not be required to add in each and every PC.

I assume that Server will be in Clients' LAN so there will not be any issue.

Otherwise you have two options ,

1 . Use VPN

2. use Internet.

But i really feel the Server Should be Present in Client's LAN !

Regards

Rajendra

chander_kararia4
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Sushma,

I already said you about the solution in my previous post.

Rajendra: I really do not think that server will be available at client location. I do not think that there is any need to diversify the portal & install servers onsite & offshore simultaneously. This will lead to unnecessary configurations. Atleast, this is what I beleive.

We also worked on clients dev, enterprise portals but never ever server is set locally.

We always used VPN. The best agent to provide the connectivity.

Regards

Chander Kararia

former_member182416
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi

I meant exactly the same thing.

Regards

Rajendra

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Rajendra

In simple I don't want to define anything in my local PC. Please

understand if I define something in my local PC then it will more or less client

architecture and it is not web environment package.

So please tell me how to avoid using the local definition.

Regards

Sushma

former_member182416
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi

You do not need to define anything in the local PC. Absolutely !

Just add the Server's Hotname and IP Adderss in DNS , thats it.

Take help of System/Network Administrator

when users connect to the Server using the URL , the Browser will get the host information

from the DNS and the Page will be displayed.

Regards

Rajendra