cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Technical Difference between 4.6c and ECC 6.0

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

Currently we are on R/3 4.6C and will be upgrading to ECC 6.0. Can any body tell me the technical difference between R/3 4.6C and ECC 6.0.

Thanks in advance

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks you all for the response.

Can you please tell me is there any impact as far as basis is concerned.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sanjay,

Shilpa's response suits ur basis query.

From the effort point of view, you will need to entirely revamp the kernel if you are planning to upgrade. Lots of features have been built into the latest kernels. besides, ECC 6.0 is now on Netweaver, which means you can use the integrated java stack for enahnced functionalities.

Do you have a specific query?

Former Member
0 Kudos

I want to know from Basis point of view, is there any impact / change after we upgrade from 4.6C to 6.0

ravindra_bollapalli2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

hi sanjay,

u can check the first link of me the upgrade options of r3

or

service.sap.com/upgrade

bvr

Former Member
0 Kudos

Of course there is a huge impact.

Your whole kernel, as you know it, will change.

Th newer one will have a more sophisticated structure. But in general, the Tcodes will still remain the same.

Also be prepared to upgrade ur hardware as it is gonna be huge resource guzzler.

For more info you can visit the website as suggested by bvr

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thinking back to my own upgrade experience it actually wasn't that big a change from the BASIS perspective. Higher system requirements, the database will grow substantially with the move to Unicode, 64bit makes memory management much easier. You'll need to change some interfaces, SAPconnect instead of SAPcomm (faxes are treated like email instead of printers for example), DCom is gone, ITS is integrated into Netweaver instead of being a separate system.

Now that I think of it, it was the interfaces that were my biggest headache. No, I take that back, Solution manager was the biggest headache. Err. No, make it the incredibly clumsy and unstable Java stack that requires a special out-of-date JRE...

Ignore the marketing techno-babble and just think of Netweaver as Basis with internet built in instead of sort of glued on after the fact. Administration is very similiar and most of what you know still applies. And pity your poor developers, they've got the tough job ahead.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sanjay,

Checkout http://solutionbrowser.erp.sap.fmpmedia.com/

This website has a comprehensive listing of differences between all versions of SAP.

Enjoy

Prasad

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi

As per the technical difference

you're "Basis/Technical", focusing on the underlying technical "Basis" or "NetWeaver" versions will help you stay on the right track. Technically, ECC 6.0 is 2 "technology" versions higher. Following is the terminology/version information for the last 3 ERP product versions:

SAP R/3 Enterprise (4.7x)

SAP BASIS 6.20

SAP ERP 2004

SAP NetWeaver 2004 (BASIS 6.40)

ECC 5.0

SAP ERP 2005

SAP NetWeaver 2004s (BASIS 7.00)

ECC 6.0

The main technology feature delivered with NetWeaver is the integrated J2EE engine (Web Application Server Java).

--->you will install an SAP ECC 6.0 System based on SAP NetWeaver 7.0. The system will be implemented on a Windows 2003 64-bit operating system and MaxDB. Special features of installations on Unix- based operating systems and other databases are dere as compare to 4.6 c

Thx

Shilpa

ravindra_bollapalli2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

hi sanjay,

check this

bvr