Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Running SAP on Linux and HP-UX

former_member71614
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi

We are planning a new installation of ERP 6.0. The solution architect is advising to install the DB on HP-UX running oracle RAC, and to install the SAP application on a seperate server running LINUX. So the SAP kernel will live on a LINUX server and the DB will live on HP-UX server.

Does anybody know if there are any issues in doing this. Has anything been documented around performance etc.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Sam

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Do not duplicate posts across different forums:

Markus

hannes_kuehnemund
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Locked thread, followup in the thread markus provided the link to

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

This is an interesting question, personally i wouldn't mix platforms if it isn't necessary, even if you can keep your SAP kernel on linux. So it would be interesting to know, why your solution architect is suggesting such an installation. Lets look at some questions, they might guide you to the critical points:

- Besides the database are you going to implement SAP high availability? If yes, how?

- How are you going to do your filesystem backups? Do you have a backup environment which covers both hp-ux and linux?

- What is the reason to have SAP on linux and not simply have hp-ux instead?

I am convinced these questions are worth thinking about. So far i installed RAC within a homogenous linux environment with integrated enqueue replication. I also setup systems with database/ci on hp and linux application servers. But i did not mix that so far

Regarding performance: my experiences showed, that RAC is never faster than a single instance installation as long as you can buy a database server big enough, but with RAC you get high availability and you can scale on low cost hardware.

Best regards, Michael