Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Heterogenous SAP solution

former_member71614
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi

We are planning a new installation of ERP 6.0. The solution architect is advising to install the DB on HP-UX running oracle RAC, and to install the SAP application on a seperate server running LINUX. So the SAP kernel will live on a LINUX server and the DB will live on HP-UX server.

Does anybody know if there are any issues in doing this. Has anything been documented around performance etc.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Sam

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> Does anybody know if there are any issues in doing this. Has anything been documented around performance etc.

If you are used to run your application servers now on HP-UX and you are not using a Unicode system you may see different sorting on the application server.

Apart from that there are no technical issues.

I wonder why you also don't run your database server on Linux (much cheaper than Itanium boxes with HP-UX) (just curious).

Markus

hannes_kuehnemund
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I wonder why you also don't run your database server on Linux (much cheaper than Itanium boxes with HP-UX) (just curious).

they are probably faster as well, looking at the latest Nehalem benchmarks where a 2 socket box was able to get 25530 SAPS (which is 5100 SAP user concurrently). If you count in, that the database in a 2tier scenario is consuming 1/10 of the system resources, you are able to handle approx 50.000 !!!! users having such a 2 socket nehalem box as database server ...

Thanks,

Hannes

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

For many years you could install SAP on different OS than the database independent from Oracle and RAC and this separation of SAP from the database does not cause any performance issues.

regards

Abdel

Former Member
0 Kudos

As far as my opinion goes this should be possible till both the servers are able to communicate with each other. Although I am not sure of this. However, it is always recommended to use the same platform for App and DB as it issues at OS level, if any, are taken care of. Howver ensure that both app and db server are of 64 bit for ECC6.0.

Lokesh