cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Serialization

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

With reference to link http://help.sap.com/saphelp_46C/helpdata/EN/3c/abc1f3413911d1893d0000e8323c4f/frameset.htm I read in the forst to lines as below :

''If you want to manage a piece of equipment not only as an independent and individual object, but also as a piece of material within the framework of inventory management, you must provide it with serialization data.''

Here I could not understand the meaning of ''''but also as a piece of material within the framework of inventory management, you must provide it with serialization data.''''

Can somebody explain it please.

regards

Sunny

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member187991
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

hi

Iventory management is nothing but managing the material in stock ,either goods issue or goods receipt . you cannot able to do that for equipment ie it is not possible to either goods issue or goods receipt with respect to equipment

Hence if you want to achieve the same for equipment you have to serialize the equipment by providing the corresponding material no in the serial no tab page and proceed further

regards

thyagarajan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Great, this will mean that whenever GI or GR for this equipment will be done, it will be with reference to the material number in SERDATA tab in IE02. Is my understanding correct. There is another field on Structure tab as Construction tab. how is it different than material number on SERDATA tab.

Thanks in advance. We are very close to closing this thread.

regards

Sunny

former_member187991
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

hi

Construction type is used for indirect allocation of BOM for materials.ie if you have 100 equipments of same BOM ,then create one Material BOM with all the materail and assign in the construction type . you can also make the construction type and material no are same in IMG settings for equipment category or in material master

your understanding is correct regarding the serial no for GR and GI

regards

thyagarajan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Thyagarajan,

Once again about contruction type.

With reference to your example.

If 100 equipments have same material number, then while creating those equipments, i may put the same material number in SER Data tab or in contruction type. Will it have the same impact or not?Please confirm.

Secondly, perhaps, if I dont put material number in SERDATA tab, then it may not be possible to inventorise it, although I am putting construction type too. Please confirm.

So if I put put the material number, then it is direct allocation of BOM. Whereas with construction type, it is indirect allocation of BOM to equipment.

You see, I am a bit confused about construction type.

Please please..help.. : )) and then we close.

Cheers

Sunny

former_member187991
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

hi

kindly understand if you put the materail no in the serial number tab then it will be used while making GR or GI

if you provide the same in construction type then you can able to select the material while creating the order using the list funtion

yes if you dont put the material no in serial no tab ,then you cannot able to maintain as inventory

if you put constrction it is indirect allocation for BOM ,material no in the serial no is only used for inventory transaction

regards

thyagarajan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Thyagarajan,

Just last question,You wrote * if you provide the same in construction type then you can able to select the material while creating the order using the list funtion*

Which order are you mentioning??Is it some order one creaes for the equipment?If yes then what is the transaction code.

Please reply.

regards

Sunny

former_member187991
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

hi

if you have provided the const.type in equipment master and while creating the PM order in IW31 ,in order while selecting th materails required you can use the list funtion to capture the materail required.

in the order component tab ,select the LIST button in the bottom of the screen ,which will display the BOM of the construction type you have entered and thereby you can select material you required

regards

thyagarajan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Thyagarajan,

Could you reply one last thing. Is it possible that an equipment is serialised but not tracked in invventory. This means only serial number is given but not the material number. On my screen, I am being asked to fill material no and serial number but training document says that equipment in serialised but not tracked in inventory.

Could you clarify please.

regards

Sunny

former_member187991
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

hi

in the serial no tab you have to enter the combination of materail and serial no .you cannot simply enter serial no alone. i think you can do by making the materail has assembly type material and specify the same in the equipment

consult with MM person also

regards

thyagarajan

Answers (0)