Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP troubleshooting logs

former_member201054
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi ,

I would be more grateful to all of you if you could let me know whatever logs we can check to find out/trace SAP system problems on the following

Installation logs (ABAP+JAVA)

DB logs - Oracle & SQL

J2EE,SDM & JSPM logs

I appreciate all your help.

Thanks in advance

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

stefan_koehler
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Daniel,

i will only give a little overview.

> Installation logs (ABAP+JAVA)

The default location depends on your OS (for example /tmp/sapinst_dir) or the specified path in the environment variable. Check the sapinst_dev.log

> DB logs - Oracle & SQL

• /oracle/<SID>/saptrace/background/alert_<SID>.log

• /oracle/<SID>/sapbackup/

• /oracle/<SID>/saparch (or the path in the environment variable SAPARCH)

> J2EE

• /usr/sap/<SID>/<INST>/work

• /usr/sap/<SID>/<INST>/j2ee/cluster/server<X>/log/defaultTrace*

• /usr/sap/<SID>/<INST>/j2ee/cluster/server<X>/log/applications*

To be honest i don't know what this information should be for.. but have fun

Regards

Stefan

former_member201054
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Could you please tell me the location & purpose of below files

tnanames.ora & tnsnames.log

sqlnet.ora & sqlnet.log

Thanks in advance

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

sqlnet.ora- Sqlnet.ora'is a text file that provides [[SQL*Net]] with basic configuration details like tracing options, default domain, encryption, etc. This file can be found in the [[ORACLE HOME]]\NETWORK\ADMIN directory.

'''TNSNAMES.ORA''' is a [[SQL*Net]] configuration file that defines databases addresses for establishing connections to them. This file normally resides in the [[ORACLE HOME]]\NETWORK\ADMIN directory.

The TNSNAMES.ORA files is located on both client and server systems. If you make configuration changes on the server ($ORACLE_HOME/network/admin/tnsnames.ora) ensure you can connect to the database through the listener if you are logged on to the server. If you make configuration changed on the client (c:\oracle\product\10.2.0\db_1\network\admin\tnsnames.ora) ensure you can connect from your client workstation to the database through the listener running on the server

Rohit

Former Member
0 Kudos

sqlnet.log is found in $ORACLE_HOME/network/log directory.

I couldnt find any info. on tnsnames.log

Please let me know of any other questions

Rohit

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Daniel,

check this link http://www.geekinterview.com/question_details/36760

Rgds,

SK

former_member201054
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi ,

Thanks a lot ..Useful Information you provided.

I got a different scenario;I keep both Dev and Qty on the same server ,if I start the listener of Dev then It should start the Qty listener also automatically but the system(qty) should be up once we give "startsap" separately..for this where should I make the relevant settings.

I appreciate your help.

Thanks in advance

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Daniel,

Please refer to SAP note 98252.This tells you complete procedure how to manage two database instances on a same host.

Let me know of any issues as I have performed the same thing for one of my clients

Also refer to 153835,it is very useful

Rohit

former_member201054
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi ,

Thanks..Is it possible to apply this scenario on a Windows 2003+ SQL 2005 System.If so please give me the procedure.

Thanks in advance

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Daniel

I dont think there is any concept of listeners in SQL server 2005.

Also I didnt get ur question?can you please explain again

Rohit

former_member201054
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi ,

I am installing both DEV and QTY on a same host(windows03&SQL 2005)

If I start the DEV from MMC it should up the Instance QTY also.Is it possible ?..if so please give me the procedure.

Thanks in advance

former_member201054
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi ,

I am not at all talking about listener concept in Windows+ SQL 2005 combination.

To start SAP on Windows 2003

first we right click on the SID from MMC then to choose "startsap" - It starts message server,enqueue server & dispatcher one by one.

In our scenario I have installed two instance(DEV& QTY) on a same hostname ,so I have to start the each instance subsequently with the above procedure to up the services.

Is it possible to start the instance QTY also along with the DEV ,instead of again doing "startsap" for QTY separately..I hope my question is clear now.

Any script or settings change to be done somewhere on MSSQL 2005 & SAP to attain this scenario?

Thanks in advance

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Daniel,

this thing can be done in one case

suppose you have taken a reboot of the server,then we can automate the starting of both the servers

This can be done by changing the startup of SAP services from manual to automatic through services.exe.then after an outage both servers will start automatically

Hope it helps

Rohit

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

You can also check out at

/usr/sap/SID/DVEBMGS00/log directory

/usr/sap/SID/DVEBMGS00/work directory contains dev_ms, dev_disp,dev_wnn, dev_rfc, dev_icm files for dispatcher, message server, work processes, rfc ,etc

Lokesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hai,

For JAVA logs check the below link...

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nwce10/helpdata/en/45/e3b0f5f76a2e99e10000000a155369/frameset.htm

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw70/helpdata/en/e4/540c404a435509e10000000a1550b0/frameset.htm

For Oracle logs check the user trace and Background trace under /oracle/<SID>/saptrace

For BR tools logs you can check DB12 this is for Backup, Redo logs etc.,

For DB calendar DB13, For memory related settings check ST04.

DB16,DB17 also can be used to check the DB logs.

BRBACKUP writes the following file system logs:

<SAPDATA_HOME>/sapbackup/b<encoded timestamp>.<ext>

Every detail log contains information about the status of the ORACLE database at the time of the corresponding backup and about the actions that were performed during the course of that backup.

<SAPDATA_HOME>/sapbackup/back<DBSID>.log

This summary log contains a brief entry for each backup. Among other things, this log shows the return code of every backup.

BRBACKUP also records its actions in the database tables SDBAH and SDBAD.

Check the below link.....

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw04s/helpdata/EN/0d/d30ed24a0c11d182b80000e829fbfe/frameset.htm

Normally all Oracle problems starts with the string ORA-XXXXX ( X - represents numbers ).

Regards,

Yoganand.V

former_member603052
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Use the Transaction code ST11 to find the error logs...

db12 and db14 for backup logs...

Regards,

Kalyan

Edited by: Kalyan Gupta on Feb 1, 2009 2:47 PM

former_member201054
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi ,

Thanks for your valuable info.

Actually my expectation was, the logs availble at OS level like dev_disp,dev_ms ,java.log etcc.

Please let me know all those kind of logs.

Thanks in advance

former_member603052
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Daniel,

Yes you can see the logs like dev_disp, dev_w<n>,dev_ms ...etc logs from SAP LEVEL thru transaction ST11.

You will see the locations of these files...double click on it and the contents will be displayed.

Regards,

Kalyan