Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Modifying bulk role

Santanu
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hello Everybody,

I have a unique requirement . I need to modify more than 1000 roles .

Modification is as following

I need to change the "BSART" field of "M_BEST_BSA" object from "*" to new values. In fact document type restriction is now going to be implemented for ME21N , ME22N transaction.

I guess manually changing each role will take long time . I tried for recording"PFCG" thru SCAT but there is lot of difference in the present roles like there multiple entry of this object in a role etc.

Anybody can suggest a faster way doing this.

Thanks in advance.

Regards

Santanu

2 REPLIES 2

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Santanu

There have been a few discussions on the mass maintainance of roles, please use the search for terms such as mass maintainance or mass change.

In your specific instance I think the best bet is to do it manually. If you are using derived roles then you only need to update the parent role. If it is the parent role you want to update (or are not using derived roles) then this cancels out that possibility

When making changes like that, I usually budget for 1 role per minute.

1000 minutes = around 17 hours or close to 2.5 days. To get an ABAP developed and tested would take significantly longer and has a degree of risk associated with it.

Good Luck

Former Member
0 Kudos

> I need to change the "BSART" field of "M_BEST_BSA" object from "*" to new values. In fact document type restriction is now going to be implemented for ME21N , ME22N transaction.

>

> I guess manually changing each role will take long time . I tried for recording"PFCG" thru SCAT but there is lot of difference in the present roles like there multiple entry of this object in a role etc.

This is probably not going to help you, but if all the authorizations of M_BEST_BSA are in "Maintained" status for which you want to make this change and the "" had been entered manually without overwritting any existing proposal values or had itself come from SU24 as a "", then you could change it there (centrally) to make your life a bit easier.

But you should only do this if you knew what you were doing when you built the roles already and implemented the authorization concept (including the concept of * in BSART. A retro-fit is typically too late.

Cheers,

Julius