cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing BEx query breaks Webi reports

Former Member
0 Kudos

Greeting Experts,

We are currently having issues modifying BEx queries on which Universes are built. Through testing, we have come to the following conclusions:

1. If you remove an existing object from a BEx query, then refresh the structure on the Universe, all the existing Webi reports built upon the universe will break - even if the object removed is not in the Webi report. (Not good!)

2. Adding a new object to the BEx query and refreshing the structure is safe, and will not break the Webi.

My question is has anyone seen differently from what I described, and is there an easy way to remove objects from a BEx query without breaking the Webis built upon the universe? I find it hard to believe that the best practice for making this change will involve modifying every Webi using the existing universe.

Thanks for the help,

Lee

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member192142
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

I know it's not the optimal solution, but what I normally do is to correct the universe manually, instead of using the Refresh structure function and I don't remember having any problems. I will try it out and post my findings.

Best regards,

Jacob

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Jacob. If this is possible, it would be an acceptable solution since we would not have to modify every existing Webi.

-Lee

former_member192142
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Lee,

Here is what I did. First I tried doing what you describe and you are right. I get an error when refreshing the WebI report. So what I did was - I opened the query definition to remove the error and saved the WebI doc again and now without the error, but thats not a solution.

Then I removed a second key figure from my BEx query without changing the universe and the WebI doc is still working, but is showing the deleted key figure in the Edit query window. Then I changed the measure in the universe to hidden and that also works. Finally I manually deleted the key figure from the universe and that also works. You are probably able to skip the Hide step, but I did not try that out.

So in my example it works to manually hide and then delete in key figure in the universe after it has been deleted in the BEx query.

If you would like to manually a new key figure to the BEx Query/Universe, then you can take the UID from the Advanced tab of the key figure properties in the Query designer and paste that into the Select section of the measure definition in the Universe designer, e.g.

[Measures].[D504MXVGG9UW6ZOI8JL2DTP2Z]

Hope this helps and let me know if it works for you 🐵

Best regards,

Jacob

Former Member
0 Kudos

This is a bug and I am currently working with the Product Engineering group to provide me with an ADAPT number and also an ETA for the fix.

There is no way one can avaoid making chenges to the BEx query. The refresh will work only if you have not restructured the universe.

Kashif

Answers (0)