cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Database specific system copy procedure (Backup/restore) SQL2005

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello All,

I have a little doubt in this, my current system is on ECC6 EhP 3 and i want to use ECC6 EhP 4 dvd/cd to make a export CD of source system. will it be a problem to use EhP 4 cd instead of Ehp3.

I did't find concrete information about the same in System copy document from SAP.

2ndly there is very little information about system copy using backup/restore method in the System copy document. so if somebody have any document on system copy using backup/restore that would be nice.

Mani

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

> 2ndly there is very little information about system copy using backup/restore method in the System copy document. so if somebody have any document on system copy using backup/restore that would be nice.

If you take offline backup means NTBackup then Attach / Detach is good procedure.

In this case you have to restore files into there location and open management studio and attach your database.

Regards,

Nikunj Thaker.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Markus and Nikunj, i allready went through that note But i have no any system installed Yet, i have to do everything from Scratch and build a new system. The reason i want to use backup (from db13 fullback online as we dont have offline backup option in SAP on SQL server), it will solve my two purpose create a new system as well as testing of Backup restoration.

In the other Attach/detach do i need to create the target system same as source system first i mean EhP level and Patch level of all the components BASIS, Application , HR etc. or i can simply install the system and its automatically done when i attach database file to new system.

Secondly do i have to use the same Kernel CDs on the target system or i can use higher EhP level cds too eg if my source system is based upon ECC6 SR1 and wasupdated to EhP3 now to create a new system on which i want to perform system copy should i use ECC6 SR1 CD or ECC6 SR3 and if i use ECC6 SR4 kernal CDs will it be ok if i use database backup or attach/detach method (where backup or files are based on ECC6 SR3 system).

i hope i cleared my point.

Mani

Former Member
0 Kudos

> In the other Attach/detach do i need to create the target system same as source system first i mean EhP level and Patch level of all the components BASIS, Application , HR etc. or i can simply install the system and its automatically done when i attach database file to new system.

Yes Becuase there are on your database not on O/S.

>

> Secondly do i have to use the same Kernel CDs on the target system or i can use higher EhP level cds too eg if my source system is based upon ECC6 SR1 and wasupdated to EhP3 now to create a new system on which i want to perform system copy should i use ECC6 SR1 CD or ECC6 SR3 and if i use ECC6 SR4 kernal CDs will it be ok if i use database backup or attach/detach method (where backup or files are based on ECC6 SR3 system).

>

Not Required. But yes and its best if you can do that.

Regards,

Nikunj Thaker

Former Member
0 Kudos

"In the other Attach/detach do i need to create the target system same as source system first i mean EhP level and Patch level of all the components BASIS, Application , HR etc. or i can simply install the system and its automatically done when i attach database file to new system."

Yes Becuase there are on your database not on O/S.

Question : does it mean i need to install EhP level and path level or just basic installation?? its ambiguous

and i can use Full backup right in backup/restore method??

Mani

Former Member
0 Kudos

> Yes Becuase there are on your database not on O/S.

>

> Question : does it mean i need to install EhP level and path level or just basic installation?? its ambiguous

No becuase SAP BAsis, SAP HR etc and there EHP are store in Database so you did not required.

> and i can use Full backup right in backup/restore method??

Yes.

Regards,

Nikunj Thaker.

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Check note Note 151603 - Copying an SQL Server database

You don´t even need CDs if the second system is installed.

Markus