cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Create user with read access for all tables SAP<SID>.*

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello all,

could you please help me ? I would like to grant select privilege on all tables SAP<SID>.* for newly created user.

I have created standard database user (not exclusive).

I`m able to grant select for individual tables, but I would like to grant select for this user on all SAP<SID>

schema in simplier way

But as far as I know, the schema`s owner name must be different then schema name.

Any idea please ?

Thank you.

Pavol

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

lbreddemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Pavel,

> could you please help me ? I would like to grant select privilege on all tables SAP<SID>.* for newly created user.

Why the heck do you may want to do that?

> I have created standard database user (not exclusive).

Ok...

> I`m able to grant select for individual tables, but I would like to grant select for this user on all SAP<SID>

> schema in simplier way

There is no "grant all on all tables to .."-command.

And it is not there for a reason.

The reason is: security

If you want to grant access to tables to any user, you should be very clear about what this user should be allowed to access.

"GRANT ALL ..." is not like giving the keys to your house to somebody, it's rather leaving all doors plus the safe open...

> But as far as I know, the schema`s owner name must be different then schema name.

Nonsense!

Why do you believe that?

> Any idea please ?

I propose to think your decision over.

DON'T GO for the grant all access on database level!

You'll get no support for what you break with the SAP application data.

Define your data interfaces clearly before the implementation.

Once you know what data needs to be accessed - implement either views to the data that present exactly the data they should present or - even better - implement stored procedures that provide the wanted information.

I've two blogs for you:

[Questions to SAP Support: Is ODBC access to the database a good idea?|https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/weblogs?blog=/pub/wlg/9742] [original link is broken] [original link is broken] [original link is broken];

where I discussed the whole topic a bit more detailed.

And if you still want to destroy the security concept of your SAP system - there is of course a way to create a script that will include the GRANTS for all tables.

[Questions to SAP Support: "How to generate a SQL Script via SQL on MaxDB?"|https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/weblogs?blog=/pub/wlg/10588] [original link is broken] [original link is broken] [original link is broken];.

cheers

Lars