cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

System Landscape

Former Member
0 Kudos

I was wondering how other people have dealt with the following scenario.

When you setup your system landscape under a solution manager implementation project, you can only select one development and one quality/testing system.

However in projects where you have a HR payroll component, you typically have another system where you perform HR parallel payroll testing. You would want to direct this testing to another Quality/Testing system than the one that is assigned to your solution manager landscape project.

I see two options, you can copy the project, change the landscape and perform your testing subsequently for that project and system.

Or you can manually temporarirly change your system landscape to direct it to another quality/testing system.

What you really want is a pop-up (as a user) that gives you the opportunity to select the system you want to perform your testing in, so that all the results still stay connected to your project in solution manager (e.g. documentation etc.).

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Paul Michel

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI Paul,

In SMSY under go to Logical Components and create a logical component for ur porject,

then click on the system role icon- there define a system role and HR Payroll system or any other name.

then add ur HR system to this System Role .

once this is done ,go to ur Project ,go to Tcode - SOLAR_PROJECT_ADMIN under system landscape tab and assign this new created logical component there ,

now u can switch between system by changing the sytem role ,similary other systems can also be added to solution manager in the same fashion

regards

Praveen

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks, these are great answers. I do have one additional question. I was alway under the impression than when you assign ECC with defined System Roles (Evalution System, Development System QA, Production and Training), than depending on the transaction you are working on (e.g. SOLAR01, SOLAR02, STWB_Work, SOLAR_LEARNING_MAP), it automatically picks up the system that belongs to that transaction. The logical component assignment at the step level doesn't give me the opportunity to assign the HR payroll system role to that node.

When you create a logicial component for each individual system (e.g. one for Training, one for Development, One for Quality etc.) I guess you can. Please confirm that is the best practise.

Thanks

Paul

Former Member
0 Kudos

I looked into this a bit more and I guess the following is true, if anyone can confirm this than that would be great.

You can set up one logical component e.g. ECC with all the individual clients assigned to it, including DEV, QA, PRD etc. In this case you will have fixed values, that depending on the transaction will pick up the client. You assign ECC in the step level, but cannot really determine the client.

Other option is to have multiple logical components one for DEV, one for QA and for PRD, and these can be individually assigned at the step level in SOLAR01.

Paul

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Paul,

u r rt ,u can have multiple logical components for each client adn then assign it at the individual level, but the usual practice is to only one logical component and define multiple System roles for each client of ur ECC

thanks

Praveen

Former Member
0 Kudos

For those people who might initially struggle with the same issue as I have, within SOLAR01 and SOLAR02 you can change the system role under the menupath Blueprint (for SOLAR01) and Configuration (SOLAR02). When you create a testplan you can (under Testplan, before generating the testplan) assign a system role.

The answer how to create an additional system role is in the system landscape is greatly answered by many people who answered to this question I originally posted.

Within Training (SOLAR_Learning_MAP) I do not see the assignment of transactions, wonder why that is not part of the training package. Who can answer that?

One more question remains. If you pick Evaluation or Development etc. is the satellite system being picked up driven by the assignment of the logical component at the step level. Meaning if you assign ECC, or you assign SAP Netweaver BI, or you assign CRM or APO at the steplevel in SOLAR01, driving the system that it will pick up. As the system role doesn't tell me that I am picking up the type of application, it only tells me if it is a Evaluation, Development etc. role. Depending on the answer on that question I am curious what is driving the actual system that it will choose, the system role or the logical component assigned in SOLAR01 at the step level?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Paul,

The Logical component drives the actual system for eg ,ECC or CRM or APO .

and the System role points to any particular client of these Systems.

so the answer to ur question is logical system is the main driver and the system role helps us to identify any particular client of the system

regards

Praveen

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have a business process structure. At the step level I want to assign a transaction. The logical component (e.g ECC, BI etc.) assignment is a prerequiste.

It turns out that when I want to assign a transaction (in the transaction tab), I can only use the logical component assignment from within the business process structure (under the structure tab)

As a result I can only assign transactions from that logical component. This avoids me assigning a BI Transaction Report to a business process structure at the step level where I also assign a range of ECC transactions.

How do avoid that? Transactions should be assigned to a business process, not the other way around.

Or is the only way to assign transactions from multipe satellite systems at the busines process level?

Who can help?

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello

I think the question is whether you have one single landscape, which includes a QA system or client for HR testing, but you still have one single development and one single production system. If this is the case, you then need one single Logical component which encompasses all the system and clients in your landscape.

Then what you need is to add in the SMSY, Logical Component definition, addtional "roles", for example, 0 for HR client in the development system (for team testing), 1 for HR client in the QA system (for Unit and Integration testing for end users), and so on (if you have more HR Clients). Then in the solar_project_admin, in the system landscape tab you add the new created roles to your implementation project.

When you create your structure then all the process and process steps are assigned to the one and only ECC system

Now you are going to have available these new roles in transaction Solar01, Solar02, stwb_2. What you need to tell the HR users is that they need to choose the "right" role in Solar01, Solar02, and when creating the test plans.

If the case is that you have a total independent landscape for HR, then you need to have a different logical component to reflect that situation at the project level. Then you link the right logical component to the appropiate process or step (HR and non-HR).

Regards

Esteban Hartzstein

former_member190969
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Paul,

you can add a new system role to the system landscape of SOLAR_PROJECT_ADMIN "Test HR" (Button System Role Assignment - Maintain System Roles). Then add the HR-System to the logical component in that self defined role. Now every user can switch to the role he needs.

Regards

Andreas