Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Differentiate 32 bit and 64 bit

Syamkriz
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Guyz,

How do we know the SAP we are using is 32 bit or 64 bit?

I am not able to find out this information from the Status.I am planning for a Kernal upgrade for ECC6 and confused which(32 bit or 64 bit) Kernal to use.

Warm Regards,

Syam

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Syamkriz
Active Participant
0 Kudos

how to find out SAP I am running is 32-bit or 64 bit is still unanswered!

manu_susankar
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Syam,

Could you please check with the below linkw would throw some light ....

http://www.sap.com/solutions/benchmark/defaultconfig.epx under

32-bit/64-bit software version

also check : https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/2007a6a6-7608-2b10-2bbc-e583497c...

Regards,

S.Manu.

Syamkriz
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Manu,

I checked the above mentioned link. The link just say that there is 32-bit and 64-bit SAP avaialable and benchmarking for both differs. Other than that the link doesnt help much.

Warm Regards

Syam

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Syam,

See the default path for 32 bit kernel is this:

drive:\usr\sap\<SID>\SYS\exe\run\

I am having a unicode NW 7.0 server on Win 2k3 x64 and my kernel path is

drive:\usr\sap\<SID>\SYS\exe\uc\NTAMD64\

I think this should solve your problem.

Regards,

Veera

manu_susankar
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hei Syam,

Got it look into sap note Note 192822 - FAQ: 32-bit/64-bit R/3-oracle

12. How can you find out whether an object is installed in its 32-bit or 64-bit version?

you have solution under this please ref the note.

Regards,

S.Manu.

Syamkriz
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Veeraraagavan R ,

Excellant.This issue is solved.

Warm Regards,

Syam

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Syam,

Please do refer to the note given by Manu . It is actually very old and not updated, but has generic command like once you navigate to exe\run (or a similar path to mine) of your server using command line/ command prompt, you can use disp+work.exe -version etc. In fact I will quote the whole section from it - Point - 12 - please note some of them might be outdated.

12. How can you find out whether an object is installed in its 32-bit or 64-bit version?

a) R/3 executables (R3trans, Kernel, tp, R3load):

cd /usr/sap/<SID>/SYS/exe/run

disp+work -version

R3trans -version

etc.

If no bit-version is mentioned within the text, this means it is a 32-bit version. 64-bit version would return something like .... COMPILED WITH 64-BIT LIBRARIES....

b) Oracle

as ora<SID> user start svrmgrl

In the header it shows oracle-version and bit-number.

you can also do a SELECT * FROM V$VERSION;

Oracle client-lib

library oracle is using CD $ORACLE_HOME/LIB

FILE LIBCLNTSH.<EXT>libary the R3-tools are using

Please check note 180430 for your R3 release specific oracle client note. The location of the clientshared library has changed with different R3 releases. Get the location of the library from that note and then execute:

cd <directory where the clientlib is in>

FILE libclntsh<version>.<extension>

Most kernels also have the function calls to the oracle libraries extracted to a new library dboraslib.<extension> Please also check this library:

cd /usr/sap/<SID>/SYS/exe/run

FILE dboraslib.<extension>

c) OS

HP:

getconf KERNEL_BITS executed as root user returns either 32 or 64

DEC-UNIX:

automatically 64-bit - also shows with the command /usr/sbin/sizer -v

AIX:

beginning with release 4.3.1 64-bit; please make sure that all hardware components are 64-bit. When installing 4.3.1 AIX automatically detects whether your hardware is 64-bit and will install the necessary 64-bit software components. The easiest way to find out whether AIX is 64-bit is by the following commands:

lslpp -l bos.64bit - this should return a line that bos.64bit is installed

genkex | grep 64 - this checks whether the 64-bit kernel extension is installed. it should return something like

149bf58 a3ec /usr/lib/drivers/syscalls64.ext.

For further details refer to the following webpage http://www-1.ibm.com/support/ docview.wss?rs=0uid=aix12465b658044fc574852569e70056e923

SOLARIS:

isainfo -v

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

manu_susankar
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Syam,

To confirm your os you can get the info by platform id.Check the below link for the information

http://groupofbasis.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=53:sap-qplatform-idq-by-hardwar...;

Regards,

S.Manu.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Syam,

Some of the IDs in the above link may not be correct. For example, the Platform ID for Windows 2003 Server x64 is 562 whereas the link mentions Windows 64 bit as 561 (not mentioning whether it is x64 or IA64).

By the way you can check the platform ID by going to System->Status in SAP GUI after logon.

Regards,

Veera

Syamkriz
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Manu,

Thank you very much for your reply. With this platform id , How do we realize which( 32/64/128 bit ) OS is this ?

Warm Regards

Syam

Syamkriz
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Manu,

Ignore my last message to you- Now I know how to use that link to differentiate 32 bit and 64 bit. Thank you very much.

Warm Regards,

Syam

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Syam,

Please mark the question as answered, for the benefit of the community.

Regards,

Veera

Syamkriz
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Veeraraagavan R / Manu,

Now I know how to find out from SAP weather the OS is 32-bit or 64-bit. But my query is still unanswered. I do not know how to find out if the SAP I am running is 32 or 64 bit.

Note: I confirmed that 32 bit SAP can run on 64-bit OS. Interestingly one of my friend has installed 64bit SAP on 32 bit OS following the note Note 1244548 - IDES ERP 6.0 ECC 6.0 SR3.

Warm Regards

Syam

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Syam,

If you are using a 32bit OS, then your kernel would be 32bit. If you are using a 64bit OS then your kernel would be 64bit.

Please mark the question as answered if my post solved your question.

Regards,

Veera

Syamkriz
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Veeraraagavan R,

Thank you very much for the reply.Now I got another querry.Please help

That means ,if I Install 32-bit version of SAP in a 64-bit OS, I must use a 32-bit SAP Kernal?

Warm Regards

Syam

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Syam,

I dont know if it is possible to install a 32bit version of SAP Server on 64 bit OS, because I think the Prerequisite Checker would have warned the same, but in x64 implementations there is an x86 (32 bit) compatibility layer, which may allow you to run a 32 bit app seamlessly.

In general, you can check your DB also, if it is running 32 bit, ur server is also going to be 32 bit.

Loosely, you can use the link given by manu above for making sure.

Regards,

Veera

Syamkriz
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Veeraraagavan R ,

I am running an Oracle 1Og and ECC 6.0. Could you please tell me how do you I check if my db is 32 bit or 64 bit.Once again thanks for your kind replies.

Warm Regards,

Syam