cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sending Blank XML file on holidays and weekends with out source XML file

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

we have a simple file to file scenario, where XI interface picks XML file having header and trailer along with data structure fields and process the file sends to the target system via FTP. This scenario happens only in working days. On holidays and weekeneds there will not be any Xml file in the source directory for XI to pick. Is there any possible in XI settings where XI can place a dummy xml file with only header and trailer details as blank on weekends and holidays, without having a source file to pick.

Thanks in advance

Sekhar

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Even If you place a dummy file without any text the Dummy file will be picked and Similarly a Clear File without any text is created in target system.

This Is basically called as PIG RUN Scenario (SOA terms)

sunil_singh13
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Sekhar,

Write a logic in such a way that if file is not present then pick it from some different location on which dummy xml file with only header and trailer details is kept.

file is not present implies it is Holiday/weekend.

You can achive this by writing Script.

Thanks

Sunuil Singh

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi Sunil,

we had thought of placing a file on a different directory and pick the file accordingly. but this would be a manual process and we need it automatically placed on the source directory.

yeah file is not present means it is a holiday or saturday or sunday ( no business data)

Do you mean to say write a script on the source directory folder for checking the file and create a dummy file if it not there and XI will pick it accordingly. Could explain this in detail?

justin_santhanam
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Sekhar,

How about creating one more simple File to File Scenario that runs only on Saturday and Sunday? choose the TEST option instead of Delete option. Try to configure the channel so that it runs only on Saturday and Sunday..

It might sounds stupid, but as of I know this is the only option. But wait for opinions from other experts too.

raj.

former_member192892
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Raj... that was an awesome solution... It sounds funny but makes sense to me

Regards

Varun

Former Member
0 Kudos

why dummy file,

you can use the option of AVAILABILITY time for communication channel.

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi

thanks for you quick reply

we will be using this availability option on daily basis. channels starts automatically for some particular period and checks the files at that time using availability option on the source directory. Target FTP server needs a file to be placed daily on that particular timestamp on daily basis.

so on weekend and holidays they need a dummy file and the source cannot create a dummy file in its directory.

Former Member
0 Kudos

you can use EXCLUDE option in availability time for CC

Former Member
0 Kudos

This sounds good.

But Can we set it permantely in Availability time stamp saying that Pick this file from folder A on working days and Pick this file from Folder B on saturdays and sundays.

If possible can you send me the Screenshot of the settings done in Availability time stamp

Thanks

Sekhar

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Raj,

Inaddition to my comments on Availability time option settings, can we set saying something like pick file from folder A for sometime in a day( with name fileA.xml) and pick file from folder B (dummy file with fileB.xml) on the same day at a different time using the same CC in Availability time option on daily basis.

Because regular files will come in folder A on working days and i will place dummy file in folder B permanently. so that my target folder will have two files on working days (one from folder A & one from folder B) & on weeknd's & holidays i will have only one file from dummy folder.

Is there any script or program that can place a file(dummy file in folder B) in a folder at the time specified on daily basis?

Thanks,

Sekhar

prateek
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Planning availability times could be configured using this

/people/shabarish.vijayakumar/blog/2006/11/26/adapter-scheduling--hail-sp-19-

can we set saying something like pick file from folder A for sometime in a day( with name fileA.xml) and pick file from folder B

There is no such setting option.

I still couldn't find the business reason of sending the blank file on weekend. Could you help me with that?

Regards,

Prateek

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Raj,

Once XI places an XML file in the target folder through FTP, Businees will use that data for internall processing and there is job being scheduled through some DB query which runs on daily basis and it expects an XML file in the target directory daily. so they have asked us to send dummy file on non working days.

As far as i know XI cannot send a dummy file unless there is an input file coming into integration Server for trigerring the interface. so thought of sending a dummy file.

We can use Availability time stamp setting in runtime workbench. But big questiion is how to create dummy file in the source dierctory on weekend's & holidays. since there is no business no file gets created in the source directory.

Is there any option for wirting a batch program which picks a defined dummy file and places in the source directory on daily basis or weekly basis etc.

Thanks,

Sekhar

prateek
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Then you may simply use the second scenario. It will be enteirely new scenario with new sender communication channel picking some specifc file say abc.xyz in test mode with a large polling interval (if you want very few files to be picked up). Same receiver channel could be used which therefore would create the file at the same folder where receiver side jobs are getting executed. There won't be any dependency among the two scenarios. So there shouldn't be any problem of changing the folders.

Regards,

Prateek

henrique_pinto
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> Once XI places an XML file in the target folder through FTP, Businees will use that data for internall processing and there is job being scheduled through some DB query which runs on daily basis and it expects an XML file in the target directory daily. so they have asked us to send dummy file on non working days.

So, your options are:

1. change DB procedure to ignore empty/inexisting files;

2. change job schedule in DB to not run on weekends & hollidays;

3. create a new job in XI that just runs on weekends & hollidays + configure dummy file scenario that is triggered by that job

I'd say #1 is the cleanest and easiest solution, but hey, that's just me...

Regards,

Henrique.

PS: in order to schedule jobs for the weekends, schedule 2 jobs that run periodically on a weekly basis: 1 for saturdays and 1 for sundays. For the hollidays, it's more complicated...