cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hardware requirement for PI 7.1 SDN subscription

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

has any developer installed PI 7.1 on a notebook or PC for development purpose only (SDN subscription, no productive use, just for learning) and can give me a hint if 4 GB RAM will really be enough (DB,ABAP and Java running on the same machine).

I installed PI 7.1 on a PC which has 3 GB, unfortunately an XP 32bit host, so I created a SLES 10 64bit virtual machine, but the system takes much too long for each request, regardless if ABAP or Java. The reason is that I see PI is eating about 3 - 3.5 GB RAM (DB, ABAP and Java stack, Java by far the most RAM), which I obviously do not have in the VM. So it is constantly swapping and unusable.

On the SDN subscription page, 4 GB RAM are recommended, but also 15 GB HD, which is not true for PI 7.1, it needs much more HD space on installation (about 10 GB + 36 GB database if I remember correctly). So I wonder if 4 GB will really be enough, even if that will be a single user environment only for learning.

Any hints from practice ? Because 8 GB for notebook is very expensive (needs 4 GB modules), I wonder if I should take a 4 GB notebook, or better an 8 GB normal PC to make sure RAM is ok.

No hints about the quick sizer tool please.

CSY

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

MichalKrawczyk
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

1. I don't have PI installed on my laptop but...

2. I wouldn't do it anyway for several reasons:

a) having it on a desktop PC means that you don't need

start/stop XI each time you close your laptop - you can have it running all the time

and starting and stopping always takes a lot of time

what you always want is to turn on the laptop and start working and not start waiting for java to load...

b) if you have internet connection in your laptop then it does not make any sense to install it on the laptop as XI really needs very poor connection to work via internet - so even edge is completely enough to work nicely from client tools

c) price... + you can easily get 64 BIT Hardware

just my few cents without any quicksizer

Regards,

Michal Krawczyl

Answers (0)