cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Custom table update

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi everyone,

We are developing an interface which updates a custom table in SAP. I would like to know the best approach given the follwing scenario..

1. The source system sends 1000's of records for initial data creation in SAP.

2. Once all the data are created in sap, the interface runs nightly to create any new data or do some updates. But the chance of data change is very less.

3. The source system does not expect any reply after the interface has run.

My questions:

1. Can we create an rfc with no response for this interface? Only request goes to the rfc and no response is given back?

2. From the business point of view, can we send all the records from the sender daily and do the compare and update on the r3 side?? or ask the sender to send only the updates or newly created ones everyday...

3. If we ask the sender to send only the new ones or data to be updated ones, if for some reason, the update did not successfully run the previous day, as we do not send any response back, there will be mismatch between source and SAP. SAP will not have the data created during last day's run. What can we do???

Please suggest some ideas...

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

claus_wallacher
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Thilothama,

one pragmatic approach to your issue 3) would be to have the sender send the new or changed data from the last 5 days (or some reasonable number). This should keep the payload small, but the daily update would need to fail 5 times in a row before you get a (permanent) mismatch in your data.

Of course, theoretically you still can run into issues, if you want to avoid those you would need some alert mechanism as Sam suggested.

Regards,

Claus

sam_raju
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Thilothama,

See the answers to your questions below:

1)<i>Can we create an rfc with no response for this interface? Only request goes to the rfc and no response is given back?</i>

Yes, you can. Create an rfc with tables parameter. Make an asynchronous RFC call from XI using QOS EO.

2)<i>From the business point of view, can we send all the records from the sender daily and do the compare and update on the r3 side?? or ask the sender to send only the updates or newly created ones everyday...</i>

You can do the compare and update in your source code of the RFC. It makes sense to ask the sender to send only to new or changed ones.

3)<i>If we ask the sender to send only the new ones or data to be updated ones, if for some reason, the update did not successfully run the previous day, as we do not send any response back, there will be mismatch between source and SAP. SAP will not have the data created during last day's run. What can we do???</i>

If the sender sender 1000's of records everyday, it puts heavy load on the system. So it doesn't make sense to send those records every day.

You need to have some alert statement in your RFC to notify the person responsible after the job has successfully run. Then you will know the days missing and can request the sender to send the data for missing days.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Sam Raju

Former Member
0 Kudos

THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR a great and quick response SAM, CLAUS.

Message was edited by: Thilothama v