cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Settle an argument: Transporting from higher Support Pack system to lower

Former Member
0 Kudos

There is a debate in our organization about how to apply support packs.

I'll try to pose the question without giving away which side I am on:

One group wants to apply the SP's in DEV and set up a break-fix system to create and export fixes to PRD while the DEV system is at a higher support pack level then PRD.

The other wants to apply the SP's in DEV and continue to create and export transports to PRD.

So the question is: Is it acceptable to transport from a system with a higher support pack D(EV) into one with a lower support pack level (PRD)?

If anyone can find any official documentation either way that would help also. Thank you all.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member

> Is it acceptable to transport from a system with a higher support pack D(EV) into one with a lower support pack level (PRD)?

If you do not need your PRD system it might be acceptable. If your business relies on your PRD system, never do that! There are changes to standard objects and may be a newer version of a report needs some more fields in a table but only the reports gets transported and so on....

There must be a freeze for transports from the point where you start applying the packages in DEV untill you are finished in PRD, i aggree with Chad.

I doubt there is an official statement, this should be common sense

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks to you both, I of course agree absolutely; however it is surprisingly hard to find an official document to back this up. Although the name Ulf should be authoritative enough I would like to be able to present an official document to project management. If anybody has that nugget of info I would appreciate it. Thanks everybody.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Hill,

Please check the bleow note.

Note 556734 - FAQ Transport: Setup and further information

Regards,

Sreenivas .Y

Former Member
0 Kudos

These kind of questions are discussed frequently here. You might want to look at this message, the question was about transporting from a higher release, but it applies for higher support package versions as well:

Regards, Michael

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

The only way you could do this is if you froze the landscape. It would be totally unacceptable to move transports from a higher level SP to a lower level SP system. Synchronization is critical for change control and consistency management. You put your business at serious risk from such a scenario.