cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Kpro usages with common server storage and Content server storage

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sap Gurus,

Can any one tell me is KPro tick that we make in Document type if it is related to the storage types we are going to use,

Can this KPro feature for Document type can be used for any document type irrespective of the Storage type, like weather storage type may be Vault, Archive, SAP DataBase, or the Content Server,

let me also know waht is the benifits of going for this Kpro Tick in Document type (apart from Storing n no of original files in the DIR)

we are trying to store original files in acommon Server (not content server) can we avail all the features of Kpro Tick.

Points awaiting,

Thanks and regards

Shanti

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Kpro marked in any of the document type is for indication of using content server as a external storage system.

Yes, Kpro can be ticked to any document type but since this is related to only external storage device so this wont support storage systems like Sap Database, Vault but supports to Archieve through Archievelink interface.

Benefits are many and depends upon the business requirement..

1. all the documents related to the organisation can be storaged in external content server rather thn in SAP database of R/3 system which avoids load on R/3 database.

2. as you said, n number of files can be attached.

3. it can be used in terms of attachments in Additional files, product stucture and so on.

4. if Content sever is used also along with cache server then this main server can be used as a central storage location from where globally users can do transaction of documents without and error and in short time.

Only Kpro storage provides all the functionality, you will be using common server which will be only accesible for storage purpose but not for the extra functions which Kpro provides..

hope this helps u..

Thank You,

Manoj

pls consider points if useful..!!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Monoj

Thanks for your reply,

for time being i have been using SAP Data base ie..DMS_C1_ST for storing the Original files, and for the document type i have made the KPRO tick made,

here i could upload more than 2 documents in the DIR, i could also have Content versions for status change and for the original changes,

does this mean SAP data base storage supports and makes use of KPRO,

iam not sure if the content server insatallation is really required for availing all the features of KPRO,

can you please tell me what are the pros and cons of going by storing the original application files in SAP Archive link interface, as we are going for storing the original files there.

can we avail all the features and funtionality of SAP DMS by storing in SAP Archive link, like

WEB DMS,

Easy DMS,

Document Distribution

Interface to Scanner

content versions,

capturing Originals in to Optical drives.

i have a assumption storing originals in Archive link (which i have not worked with) will restrict the funtionality of SAP DMS, is iam right?

any clarification given is appriciated and rewarded.

Regards

Shanti

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

the storage category DMS_C1_ST u r using is the default standard setting done, this is not having any connection with any storage system.

in DC10-->once u double click on any doc type, you can see file size, maintaining this field with some numeric value reflects storage in SAP Database..here even if you tick Kpro you wont be getng DMS_C1_ST.

SAP Archievelink is used to archieve the data for long storage and also it is used for linking with HR module for storing documents related to HR,

if you need more functionality of Kpro and its features then u have to set content server..

hope its helpful..

Thank You,

Manoj

pls consider points if useful..!!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Monoj, thanks for your reply,

i have come across the statement in SAP Online help that SAP strongly recommends to use the Knowledge provider for storing the original application files.

but iam not sure if this using the Knowledge provider for storing the original application means exactly going for the content server and with the tick in DC10 for use KPRO,

what exactly is this Kpro funtionalities apart from storing 2+ originals in DIR.

by storing the original files of the DIR in VAULT, or Common server or directly storing in to SAP Archive link can't we avail this KPRO facilities?

do you mean to say with out Content server we cannot avail important features like,

WEB DMS,

Easy DMS,

Document Distribution

Interface to Scanner

content versions,

please Clarify

Shanti

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Knowledge Provider (Kpro), content server is just a storage system in which you store documents rather than storing in R/3 SAP Database in order to avoid huge document loading in R/3 Database..

but some features which are not available if content server is not used which are already discussed in earlier threads..

without content server also you can avail the following,

WEB DMS,

Easy DMS,

Document Distribution

Interface to Scanner

content versions,

Thank You,

Manoj

pls consider points if useful..!

Answers (0)