cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Content server pros and cons when compared to others

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi DMS Gurus,

we are in a process of deciding which storage area to go for, and the client is kneen on going for a common existing server, as he is not kneen on spending on DMS content server.

my question are,

can we transform any existing file server or system (which is already in use) in to a content server just by installing windows 2003, and content server CDs. if so please tell me how to go about this.

is content server only the preferred storage to process the original files in through WEB DMS, or will Starage in SAP Database,Vault or Archive also will give this funtionality.

let me please know what are the major Pros (benifits) and cons (demerits) which Content server storage gives when compared to other storage.

Points for sure,

thanks in advance

Shanti

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Shanti,

Here is a comparasion chart for Content Server Vs FileServer..

Content Server

1) Separate database so there is no effect on OLTP performance.

2) Flexible and scalable.

3) Security is managed by SAP.

4) KPRO (Knowledge Provider) can be used.

5) KPRO has no limitation with originals attached with one single Document Info Record.

6) Caching is possible!

7) Possibility to use a searching engine, e.g. T-Rex. Full text search is done by CMS (Content Management Service). Supported formats in the SAP-Standard: DOC, EXL, PPT, PDF, plain html, plain text

File Server

1) No database exist for the File Server. Its just a common server with OS functionality.

2) Not flexible and scalable.

3) Security cannot be managed by SAP.

4) KPRO cannot be used.

5) With one DIR you can handle 2 originals 99 Additional files.

6) Caching is not possible!

7) T Rex functionality not possible

Hope this helps. Please award points if useful!!

Paddy

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Paddy,

thanks for your reply, but my questions are not completely answered,

like if we are having a existing file server then just by installing the content server CD we can convert it in to a content server, and as the CD is freely supplied by SAP then it is good to install this on a system and make the system as a content server, on Max DB or not is what matters a bit, i'm i right

what are this KPRO features apart from letting us to have more than 2 attachmentsin DIR . please eloborate.

importantly, let me know if the original files storing is taking SAP Archive server can we avail the KPRO features,

Thanks and Regards

Shanti.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Shanti,

ArchiveLink:

You use SAP ArchiveLink as a communication interface between the document management system and the archiving systems. You can display the archived data using the SAP ArchiveLink viewer. Many times there are documents generated which needs to be tied to a DIR and hence you use the archive link to tie these to a transaction and the originals can be stored in the content server.

KPRO

KPRO apart from attaching the originals, it provides a wide range of other functionalities like content service,

where after every check in& checkout of DIR you can mantain the working copies in the content server.

Knowledge Provider is a component of SAP Web Application Server and provides the general infrastructure for storing and administrating documents.The Content Server and the Cache Server are server components that interact with the Knowledge Provider

Knowledge Provider provides the following services:

-Services for KPro client applications

-Document Management Framework (DMF)

-Document Management Service (DMS)

-Content Management Service (CMS)

-Integration of content servers and cache servers

-Content Server

-Allows you to integrate SAP Content Sever or

external content servers

-Cache Server

-Allows you to store documents close to the client (caching)

-Content Modeling Tool

-Document Modeling Workbench (DMWB)

Hope this helps

Paddy

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Paddy,

thanks for your reply,

specifically i need answers on this.

i came across some notes that storing in SAP Archive link is entirely different from SAP DMS. and involves different transaction, can i specifically know if i use SAP Archive link as the storing medium for original application files for DMS, then does that mean i will get this archive link storage catagory while checking in the Original files in CV01N. is my assumption right. ((just like iam getting DMS_C1_ST (default SAP) or any ZDMS_SC01/02 (customised)))

importantly, let me know if the original files storing is taking place at SAP Archive link , can we avail the KPRO features

and like if we are having a existing server say File server or archive server, then just by installing the content server CD we can convert ia portion of it in to a content server, as the CD is freely supplied by SAP then it is good to install this on a system and make the system as a content server,

Thanks and Regards

Shanti.

Answers (0)