cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BR9227E when performing brbackup to a Windows Compressed Filesystem

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi folks,

I am running a SAP 700 on a win64 Platform and I try to perform a brbackup to a Harddisk. Unfortunately the backup fails woith the Message BR0227E not ebough disk space.

The Disk which is receiving the backup files have abou 130GB free Space and is using Windows Controlled compression. My DB is about 140 GB.

As I know, that 140GB is more than 130 GB I startet first "brbackup -k only" to evaluate the compression ratio, then I starteted "brbackup -k hardware"

From a previous brbackup-run the same Backup Disk I know that the data volume for backup is about 70GB (compressed).

Does sombody have a clue why I run into that BR0227E Error? Or is there somthing else I can check?

Regards

Alex

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

lbreddemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

>

> Hi folks,

>

> I am running a SAP 700 on a win64 Platform and I try to perform a brbackup to a Harddisk. Unfortunately the backup fails woith the Message BR0227E not ebough disk space.

>

> The Disk which is receiving the backup files have abou 130GB free Space and is using Windows Controlled compression. My DB is about 140 GB.

>

> As I know, that 140GB is more than 130 GB I startet first "brbackup -k only" to evaluate the compression ratio, then I starteted "brbackup -k hardware"

>

> From a previous brbackup-run the same Backup Disk I know that the data volume for backup is about 70GB (compressed).

>

> Does sombody have a clue why I run into that BR0227E Error? Or is there somthing else I can check?

Hi Alexander,

the BRTOOLS are not aware of the file system compression of NTFS.

Therefore, from BRTOOLS point of view, you're doing a backup without compression.

In this case, BRTOOLS checks the brutto size of the database against the available freespace in the backup target location.

Updating the compression factor will only be usefull if you'd acutally use compression.

The option you used for that "-k hardware" is just not available for disk based backups and therefore ignored.

Use "-k software" instead to have the backups compressed with "compress" or "zip" or whatever tool you setup in the init<sid>.sap file.

Since NTFS file compression uses much resources (memory) on the file server and takes time, you should reconsider using it.

Instead you may consider using RMAN to backup your database.

RMAN does not only just copies the allocated blocks and leaves out everything unnecessary it also provides a pretty good built-in compression.

hope that helps,

Lars

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Lars,

thank you for your feedback ... even it's a bad message for me

the reason I descided to use NFS Compression was that 9 of 10 Backup jobs terminated with error "BR0272E mkszip .... through pipe failed!" when using Software-Compress.

What is that RMAN? Do I need to purchase additional Software to use that feature? Unfortunately I need to keep the solution as cheap as possible.

Kind regards

Alex

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> What is that RMAN? Do I need to purchase additional Software to use that feature? Unfortunately I need to keep the solution as cheap as possible.

RMAN is a tool delivered by Oracle- no additional license needed.

Check

http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/server.102/b14196/backrest.htm#i1004902

Markus