cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to change the hostname was set/defined in SAP system?

perry_song
Explorer
0 Kudos

Dear Expert,

My customer met a problem about that:

he defined his host name with small characters(lower case) "abc" when he installed the SAP system (Windows2003(x64)-Solman70SR4).

But in SM21, the title of sm21, the hostname was recognize as upper case "ABC".

in SM51, the hostname was also recognized as upper case "ABC"

in STMS, the tab of 'transport tool', it is recognized as lower case "abc" in TRANSDIR.

in SM59, it is recognized as upper case "ABC" in internal connections, but recognized as lower case "abc" in ABAP connections, such as TMSADM@<DB>.DOMAIN.<sid>

While in Java URL, it is recognized as lower case "abc". With my test, the Java URL is not case sensitive for the HOSTNAME part in HTTP link as I tested to change the hostname both in upper case and lower case in etc\hostname file, the URL both are working. (not sure if this is due to the test is with intranet or not).

Based on SAP note 611361, it seems that:

"Hostnames must be considered "case sensitive". That means

hostnames shall be used in the same case (upper or lower) in all

SAP configurations as well as in the network configuration (DNS

or etc/hosts). You must ensure consistent name resolving of the

hostname from hostname to IP address and back from the IP address

to the the same hostname (case sensitive match). See also note

129997."

Please help to suggest.

Many thanks in advance,

Perry Song

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

first thing is we cann't change the hostname after the completion of installation, be sure when you give the system parameters while installing SAP R/3, etc. and don't forget to configure the hostfile i.e., in drivers>etc>hosts.

Regards,

prabhu.

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

You can take a look here for a step by step guide.

[Click here|http://www.saptechies.com/changing-host-name-on-r3-host-what-do-you-do/]

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

check the following notes : 757692 and 8307 .

With Regards,

CSK

Former Member
0 Kudos

Section 4.13 "Checking the Consistency of the Host Name" in [This Upgrade Guide|https://websmp208.sap-ag.de/~sapidb/011000358700000353422008E] has a good explaination of what & how to check your hostname / parameter configuration.

on a windows box, another way to get the TCP/IP name is to type 'hostname' from a CMD window.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Can you tell us what is Computer name at MyComputer > Properties ?

One more..

Do you face any specific problem because of upper or lower "Host Name" ?? or It is just because you want to make it similar everywhere?

perry_song
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Amit,

So far, no issue happened yet as I known. but according to SAP note 611361, it is required to be the same, either lower case or upper case. But there are both lower and upper case exist in the system. This is not safe.

Please advise.

Thanks,

Perry

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Pls let me know the value of the following parameters

rdisp/mshost

SAPLOCALHOST

SAPGLOBALHOST