cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transporting Developmenrts from PI DEV to PI Prod

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

in my PI server, when ever I do a development in the ABAP stack, I release and transport the request to Basis. And In case of developments in Java stack, I use Change Management Service - Transport Studio to move it.

Apart from these processes, what other practices / processes are done in the industry to move developments to Prod..

Regards,

Arnab

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

What is CTS+ and why is is introduced:

The Change and Transport System (CTS) is a tool that helps you to organize development projects in the ABAP Workbench and in Customizing, and then transport the changes between the SAP Systems in your system landscape.

The XI use case for CTS+ introduces a new transport handling mechanism that offers tighter integration for the transport of ABAP, Java, and Integration Builder objects (Integration Repository and Integration Directory) using the Change and Transport System (BC-CTS) functionality.

As your XI system requires both the ABAP and the Java stack of the SAP NetWeaver Application Server, the following transport tools are available after installation:

u2022

The ABAP transport environment (BC-CTS)

u2022

The file export and import mechanisms or CMS integration to transport Repository or Directory objects in your transport landscape

In addition, you might also have to transport Java development objects by using the SAP NetWeaver Development Infrastructure itself.

The enhancements to CTS in combination with the SAP Solution Manager Change Request Management (ChaRM) address the following issues:

u2022

Synchronized transports for mixed systems (ABAP & Java)

u2022

A unified application for mixed system landscapes

u2022

Tracking of non-ABAP transports including Change Request Management

For your XI landscapes there will be one central transport environment with CTS+ where you can manage all XI-relevant transport objects from a single entry point.

This how-to guide describes the configuration settings you must make in the CTS+ system and XI systems. The functionality must be set up according to the release version of the integrated XI system. The two configurations will be described separately:

u2022

Configuration setup for releases prior to SAP NetWeaver 7.0 SPS12 (also for SAP NetWeaver 2004 SPS14 and higher).

u2022

Configuration setup for release SAP NetWeaver 7.0 SPS12 and higher.

Refer the link for CTS+ step by step method of transport:

https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/80bbbd55-5004-2a10-f181-8bb09692...

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw04/helpdata/en/03/dcb6b6048711d3b42a00609419f767/frameset.htm

https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/90d3b550-b6fb-2910-0fa5-ece5d61f...

Regards,

Phani

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Arnab,

Previously, XI Java (IR & ID) transports were transported using CMS.

After SP12 deployed in XI system, XI has ability to transports Java objects using CTS+ leveraging existing transport knowledge.

Regards,

Swathi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Pratik / Venkat / Swathi ,

many many thanks .

So I can conclude.

1. CMS is a process.

2. File transfer is also a process but old .

3. CTS+ is the latest technology.

Is my understanding OK.

Regards,

Arnab

prateek
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Yes, you understanding is correct.

Regards,

Prateek

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

Latest CTS is used , File Type also used but very old classical way not encouraging when used with large transports.

Srini

prateek
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Another way is to use CTS+. For PI, another option is to use file based transport with exporting the file from Dev system and importing it in the Prod system.

Regards,

Prateek