cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Unix skills to have AIX, Solaris or Linux Red Hat for SAP

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello, I was wondering what would be the best Unix certification I should get in order to be

more marketable as a SAP Netweaver Administrator. IBM AIX, Sun Solaris or Linux Redhat.

Thanks for any comments and feedback

Steve.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

nelis
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

A difficult question to answer.

If I were you I would do some research in your country/location and find out what the larger SAP based firms are using as their platform. Either certification would put you in a good position to market your Unix/Linux skills. Money spent on a SAP certification may be a better way to go...

Good luck.

Regards,

Nelis

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for the reply back. Its a hard question to get some answers for. If you had to make a guess from your own experience or work site what Unix version would it be. Thanks.

Steve

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Thanks for the reply back. Its a hard question to get some answers for. If you had to make a guess from your own experience or work site what Unix version would it be. Thanks.

You forgot one big vendor: HP - with their HP-UX

I´d say "if you know one you can learn all".

Unix platforms are somewhat standardized (POSIX, SYSV etc.) so if you "know" one, it´s not that much work to learn a second one since the basics are similar, however, each OS has its specialities.

I have seen a chart with OS distributions some time ago, roughly 50 % was Windows, the rest was shared among the other Unix platforms almost equally with a small part being more "exotic" (System i, z/OS).

I´d also say that this is industry dependent. The banking sector may have - historically - more IBM (and hence AIX), manufacturing industry may also historically have more HP-UX, Universities may have more Solaris environments due to the historical closeness of Sun to education sector (note: those are assumptions). Linux may be used from all of them as "Unix"-similar alternative on Intel/AMD platforms.

Markus

nelis
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

For me personally I would choose Solaris simply because I already have a AIX certification We no longer run SAP on AIX though and everything is now Linux due to far cheaper maintenance costs.

I think if you have one of the commercial Unix certifications people would assume you would know enough about Linux to get the job done. I would say either AIX, HP/UX or Solaris would be a good choice but you must decide what is best for you personally.

Regards,

Nelis

Edited by: Nelis Lamprecht on Jan 27, 2009 1:53 PM added HP/UX

JPReyes
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I´d say "if you know one you can learn all".

Completely agree with Markus... once you learn one the rest are pretty similar.

Regards

Juan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi there thanks to everyone for your help and feedback. I think I will go for my Sun Solaris certification as it would be easier to learn and train with (ie I don't have a AIX machine to learn from). Since I am just starting my SAP Career, I appreciate all the help and advice from helpful people as yourselfs. Best regards.

Steve