Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Position Based Security in BI using OM from ECC

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

So we before we go down this path we would like to know how many others have.

We are distributing our OM hierarchy with O, S, AG, and User to BI from ECC so that role assignments that are on the position get pushed to BI.

We run RHPROFL0 in BI to create new users and push roles to the user master record.

Everything is working a expected, however I haven't seen this done anywhere so I can't answer questions about sustainability or stability.

Please provide feedback to this approach if you have experience with it or if you considered implementing and decided against it, please provide your rationale.

We have also looked at using CUA which works for this scenario as well, however would have a larger impact to our implementation from a technical and process perspective.

Thanks,

Mike

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Former Member
0 Kudos

>

> Hello,

>

> So we before we go down this path we would like to know how many others have.

>

> We are distributing our OM hierarchy with O, S, AG, and User to BI from ECC so that role assignments that are on the position get pushed to BI.

>

> We run RHPROFL0 in BI to create new users and push roles to the user master record.

>

> Everything is working a expected, however I haven't seen this done anywhere so I can't answer questions about sustainability or stability.

>

> Please provide feedback to this approach if you have experience with it or if you considered implementing and decided against it, please provide your rationale.

>

> We have also looked at using CUA which works for this scenario as well, however would have a larger impact to our implementation from a technical and process perspective.

>

> Thanks,

>

> Mike

Mike,

I don't see any problem with your design except for the double maintenance of new users and possibly of role assignment to positions.

My vote is for the CUA, depending on how you look at it, it might be less work up front and can save a lot of maintenance overhead once implemented.

BI is a child in our CUA, we assign ECC composite role on a position and these composite roles are pointed to BI child roles using variables. When we run RHPROFLO in ECC new user will be created in BI if the position has ECC composite role pointed to BI child roles. Everything is maintained in ECC.

4 REPLIES 4

Former Member
0 Kudos

>

> Hello,

>

> So we before we go down this path we would like to know how many others have.

>

> We are distributing our OM hierarchy with O, S, AG, and User to BI from ECC so that role assignments that are on the position get pushed to BI.

>

> We run RHPROFL0 in BI to create new users and push roles to the user master record.

>

> Everything is working a expected, however I haven't seen this done anywhere so I can't answer questions about sustainability or stability.

>

> Please provide feedback to this approach if you have experience with it or if you considered implementing and decided against it, please provide your rationale.

>

> We have also looked at using CUA which works for this scenario as well, however would have a larger impact to our implementation from a technical and process perspective.

>

> Thanks,

>

> Mike

Mike,

I don't see any problem with your design except for the double maintenance of new users and possibly of role assignment to positions.

My vote is for the CUA, depending on how you look at it, it might be less work up front and can save a lot of maintenance overhead once implemented.

BI is a child in our CUA, we assign ECC composite role on a position and these composite roles are pointed to BI child roles using variables. When we run RHPROFLO in ECC new user will be created in BI if the position has ECC composite role pointed to BI child roles. Everything is maintained in ECC.

0 Kudos

Hi John,

Thanks for your comments, however CUA is not an option for us at this time.

Mike

0 Kudos

Hi John,

How do you link ECC role to BI role and also could you please give me the RHPROFL0 input values.

We implemented CUA, but BI role assignment through CUA(Direct to user) and R/3 role assignment through position based.

We are planning to implement Position based for BI also. Could you please provide some more information.

Thanks for your help.

Regards,

Chandra

0 Kudos

>

> Hi John,

>

> How do you link ECC role to BI role and also could you please give me the RHPROFL0 input values.

>

> We implemented CUA, but BI role assignment through CUA(Direct to user) and R/3 role assignment through position based.

>

> We are planning to implement Position based for BI also. Could you please provide some more information.

>

> Thanks for your help.

>

> Regards,

> Chandra

Chandra,

Since the OP is not interested in the CUA solution and my response will be detailed & long, I think you should create a new thread so we don't hijack this thread.

Thanks.