cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Did we implement SOA architecture

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi ,

I am new to SOA and just wanted to know, whether we are on right tract to implement SOA architecture in our peoject or not.

We have a landscape of five system .

CRM 5.0

ECC 6.0

XI

BI

EP 7

Now we are in a process to implement all the main processes in the system as a webservice.

Just for an example , we have created a FM which would create a BP in CRM system, similarly we have created FM's for creating SERVICE ORDER in CRM system, PLAN and CAMPAIGN creatinn in CRM system.Like this we have lots of other small and big processes.

Similarly we are trying to imlement all processes in ECC side as webservice.

So my question is , once we have created webservice for all processes does it mean we have implemented SOA in our project?

Regards

PG

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

ANSWERED

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi PG,

CRM 5.0

ECC 6.0

XI

BI

EP 7

These all are component of Netweaver which is an enabler of SOA platform & selection of this component depends on you Organization and industry. Some time these can be affected by external environment. So selection of Netweaver component is totally depends on SOA road map which may or may not be similar with standard scenario in your case .So first make a full fledge SAO Road Map to Implement SOA Framework by the help of BPX and techno functional experts then implement it in phase wise manner. If you give broader picture of your organization & its industry then I can give a closure suggestion regarding the issue.

Please provide points if the above information is needful to you.

Regards

Raj

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Just a correction that ECC and CRM are not components of NetWeaver. These are business applications which run on NetWeaver components.

Regards,

Shehryar

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

While learning about SOA implementations, you might have heard about something called JBOS (just a bunch of services). Having all functionality as services might not be the best way forward. The type of questions I'd ask are:

1. are you defining your own business services from scratch?

2. have you taken a look at http://esworkplace.sap.com/sdn for services SAP already offers for CRM and ERP? Do they serve the purpose?

3. Do you have an SOA roadmap?

4. Do you have a services repository/registry in place?

I am sure other practitioners can add several other questions.

Having all NECESSARY functionality as services is the baseline for SOA...but you need an SOA roadmap and supporting infrastructure to reap the true benefits. Please take a look at [https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/20ca27e7-58c8-2b10-bba1-de0d6f14e57f] for more information on setting up SOA landscapes and the base components required.

Regards,

Shehryar

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Shehryar,

Thanks for informative reply.

Well as i told you , we are new to SOA .Now the answers to your questions

1. are you defining your own business services from scratch?

Yes i.s as i told you for creating BP or campaign in CRM system we were using either standard FM or class , now we are in process to create webservices for all those.

2. have you taken a look at http://esworkplace.sap.com/sdn for services SAP already offers for CRM and ERP? Do they serve the purpose?

Not now.

3. Do you have an SOA roadmap?

We need to define it.

4. Do you have a services repository/registry in place?

No

So can u help me for finding the answers of your last 3 question.

regards

PG

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Although you are already working on defining your own services, I'd strongly suggest taking a look at the ES Workplace for enterprise services already provided by SAP. As an example, the enterprise services for CRM contain predefined services for Business Partner Data Management and Campaign Management.

The benefit of re-using these services is that these have been defined using a formal methodology, and in consultation with customers and partners. So you'll get industry best practice business services which you can customize if you want. SAP has an ecosystem around Enterprise Services Definition which any customer or partner can join. This way, they have a say on what SAP rolls out to customers.

For an SOA Roadmap, I'd suggest taking a look at https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn/soa-methodology. This will help you in step-by-step progress towards SOA. Not all steps might be relevant so you can be choose whichever you consider appropriate. But it is good to have an end-to-end view.

There are a lot of documents on SDN related to SOA Reference Architecture which SAP proposes. Please take some time out to look at it. /people/kareemullahshah.quadri/blog/2007/02/19/sap-architecture-150enterprise-soa-basics is also a good weblog on SOA and what SAP offers. /people/kareemullahshah.quadri/blog/2007/02/19/sap-architecture-150enterprise-soa-basics is good one for build vs. buy SOA.

If you are a SAP shop, then it might be best to use SAP's SOA Reference Architecture as a guideline. If you have a mixed IT portfolio, please do review what other vendors like IBM, Oracle/BEA, etc suggest in terms of SOA reference architectures.

An ESR will act as the central repository for your services and a must have for SOA implementations. You will find that in all SOA reference architectures. This helps you down the road when the number of enterprise services increases. Governance is a nightmare in SOA and ESR will help you in that. SOA Reference Architectures from SAP and other vendors contain necessary components you should have for an SOA landscape.

Hope it helps. Feel free to post any questions that come to your mind.

Regards,

Shehryar