cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

migrating from HP-UX PA-RISC to IA64

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Team,

We are planning a migration for an R/3 Oracle system running HP-UX on the PA-RISC architecture to Itanium.

The current environment looks like this:

C11

-- Application Server

--- srv007_C11_30

-

Host srv007

-

Operating System HP-UX

-

Machine Type 9000/800

-

IP Address 167.116.230.57

-

Start time and date 152812 20081102

-

R/3 Kernel Release 46D

-

R/3 Kernel Database Library OCI_805_64

-

R/3 Kernel Patch Level 1231

-

Database Version 8.1.7.2.0

-

SAP system Release 46C

Our goal, when all is said and done, is to be running ECC 6/Oracle 10g on HP-UX 11iv3 (IA64)

OSS note 671804 (Oracle DB migration from HP-UX PA-RISC to Itanium) states the following:

"

an 8.1.7 database can be migrated to the Itanium architecture but it must be upgraded to Oracle9i release 2 or Oracle 10G before it can be opened

"

So our plan is to first upgrade Oracle to 9.2.0.x and then upgrade again to 10.2.0.x

The question I have is can we run HP-UX 11iv3 for the entirety of this upgrade? I pose this because OSS note 1031960 (Recommendations and availability of HP-UX 11.31) states the following:

"

Database Information on 11.31

The supported database versions are the same for PA-RISC and Itanium.

o Oracle

- Oracle 10G is supported on HP-UX 11.31 Itanium and PA-RISC. - -

- Oracle 9.2 is not supported on 11.31.

"

Ideally we don't want to have to upgrade the O/S from 11.23 to 11.31 as well. We will only be running in the "unsupported state" for a short period of time until we upgrade to 10g.

Any thoughts, comments or suggestions will be most welcomed

Regards

Paul McDowell

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Understand your concern - and yes, having to do an OS upgrade could be avoided.

I would open an OSS call with the Oracle competence center (BC-DB-ORA) and ask if they can provide support for the ugprade - I'm sure they can do.

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Marus,

Thanks for the suggestion.

Excuse my ignorance as I'm new to this site, but how do I open an OSS call with BC-DB-ORA?

Thanks

Paul

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> Excuse my ignorance as I'm new to this site, but how do I open an OSS call with BC-DB-ORA?

It's not here but at

http://service.sap.com/inbox

You need a valid S-User ID for that (or someone who opens up that call for you if you yourself have no ID).

Markus