cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Role of ABAP in MDM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello MDM Guru's,

Could you please help me to understand the role of ABAP in MDM. i underestand ABAP API's role (interfaces) can be used, However i want know what kind of requirements do we get to use ABAP based coding & what kind of customization could be done, could i use Business Workflow from ABAP in MDM.

Any documents or links please.

Thanks in advace

Cheers

Srihari

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Srihari,

The role of MDM with ABAP is basically the utilization of the MDM functionalities and features from an ABAP server.

It is a way to connect to the MDM system from another system which does not understand MDM language.

As MDM is a C++ based system and ABAP is an ABAP language based ERP system.If you want to talk to the MDM system from an ABAP system you need to inteface them through the ABAP API's.

Doing this you can then Search,create ,update Run matching strategies etc from teh ABAP system just by using the Preconfigured classes and methods.Whereever a n enhancemendt is needed which is more than the standard delivered functionlaity of MDM you can utilize the coding ability of ABAP to achieve it.

Few Real time requirement that I came across of using ABAP interfcae to MDM are

- Creating ABAP design ALV reports that is a result of MDM Master data stored within the MDM repositories.

- The logs that are available with MDM are the standard delivered ones which are not easily understandable.We can use ABAP is an effective way to develope a user friendly report explaining the MDM logs

- Something similar to the above can bo done with the change tracking feature of MDM.

- Also ABAP api can be used with effective coding and customization to make available the Master data from MDM as an F4 help in abap.

Regarding using ABAP business workflow in MDM or viceversa,I guess is not a feasible thing to do.

You can however use the Consistent MDM outputted data in ECC and run a separate governance on it through an ECC workflow using ABAP.

To know more on what standard features as well as customized features that can be delivered through the MDM-ABAP interface .Kindly refer the MDM ABAP API series how to guides

Hope It Helped

Thanks & Regards

Simona Pinto

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi guys,

Thanks for you updates.

Any more updates please, with real time requirements of MDM-ABAP & about ABAP workflows used in MDM which you guys came across during your handshakes with MDM.

Hoping for more................

cheers

srihari reddy

Former Member
0 Kudos

The ABAP API is used in any scenario in which the users have a need (or requirement) to use an ABAP based system as the front end, instead of logging into MDM through one of the thick clients or through a web based Portal system.

It may be the case that end users simply want to manage their data through ECC, so they don't have to learn another tool (MDM thick clients). Or perhaps the IT department doesn't want to manage the deployment of the thick clients out to all the desktop users, so they are mandating that ECC is used on the front-end.

A common case would be in a workflow situation. Often times business want to develop a workflow around master data, but they want to use the WebFlows engine in ECC instead of using the workflow engine inside MDM because of various reasons. For example, they may make this decision because they already have a support staff in place that is familiar with the WebFlows engine. Or perhaps they want to develop a complex workflow process around master data, in which case the MDM workflow engine may not be able to suppor their business requirements. In this case using the ABAP API would solve the problem. The workflow could be developed in ECC using the WebFlows engine, and the ABAP API can communicate to MDM on the backend.

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Srihari,

Role of ABAP in MDM:

For CMDM scenarios you need to have some governace mechanism .We have differnt kinds of governance methods provided by SAP:

1)Guided Procedure:

You can use GP for governance with the help of ABAP API (which is integrated in abap webdynpro which a GP can call) so, operations done in MDM is replaced by ABAP coding like creation of record in MDM ,Updating a record ,matching records and even merging of record .

2)Buisness workflow can be used which uses abap objects so if you can create abap objects through abap api and those objects can easily be callled through buisness workflow.

This is one functionaliy of abap which can be used for governance mechanism.

Hope this would have helped you.

Regards,

Neethu Joy.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the updates, it gave me a skeleton about ABAP- MDM integration use.

According to my understanding, please correct me if wrong. There are two ways of Integrating MDM, MDM can be integrated with Portal & ABAP.

We can use Portal as Front end & MDM as Back end, where Java API's can be used for customization. We have advantages of using iviews to display, edit, create data by users (webbased screens).

We can have ABAP as Front end & MDM as Back end, ABAP API's can be used for customization, here what are the advantages ...................... (as i want to go with ABAP, basically being ABAP er)

If want to show data to users (edit , create & display) who don't have access to SAP system. How can i allow them to modfiy data?? Can i use Webdynpro for ABAP & integrate it with Portal iviews ( to give them webbased screen for modifying data) are do we have another way............................

Can i use Global Procedures (as per Neethu) or any other ways.

Please guide & advice me.

Thanks in Advance

Cheers

Srihari Reddy

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Srihari,

For webbased access to the users at a screen level, you can use either ABAP Webdynpros or Java Webdynpros along with BSPs or Iviews respectively.

Hope it helps.

Thanks,

Minaz

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi srihari,

I Think my answere is not that explainatory.

You cannot use ABAP as front end as it is a programing language.

See if user donot have access to SAP system You can use portal.

Using AbAP webdynpro or BSP you can create customized screens which you can call through Guided procedures.

In GP terms this screen you developed is called as callable objects(lay man terms we call it iviews)this can be developed either using ABAP or JAVA.

Now in the webdynpro application you developed you can call API function modules which will create update record in MDM.

Eg.

In your webdynpro application you created a screen in whch user can enter record to be created and after entering when user will press submit the application wll call internaly an ABAP API which will actualy create record in MDM based on Screen input.

This whole ABAP webdynpro appilcation is used as a callable object in GP.

Now enduser doesnot have to actualy login to sap system you will provide him with a portal Url as he enter, GP will internally call webdynpro application and user will be able to view the webdynpro screen where now he(user) enters the data and press submit which will call internally ABAP API function module and creates record in MDM.

Hope this will give you better understanding.

Regards,

Neethu.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Neethu,

Thanks for the updates. Now it could get things better.

Still i have few questions please. Could you please give me some real time scenarios for better understanding, where all i can use ABAP in MDM.

Could you please give me a overview and any documents or links. srihari dot abap at gmail.

Thanks in advance

Cheers

Srihari Reddy

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Guru's

Thanks for the updates

Cheers

Srihari

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Srihari,

Refer

https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/4062fea8-795c-2b10-3da5-f9fd0227...

Hope it helps.

Thanks,

Minaz

Edited by: Minaz Kathawala on Jan 23, 2009 12:54 PM