Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mobile applications with Webdynpro - performance contra functions

leif_almgren
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi all,

By starting this thread I am hoping to get some input from those of you that already developed mobile applications using WebDynpro. In my organisation we currently have several mobile transactions running through ITSmobile (which is normal ABAP programs designed with a small screen in mind), but to make development easier and more future-proof we are looking into using WebDynpro instead.

We use Windows CE devices with Internet Explorer 6. This means standard Webdynpro runs fine, and looks fine. The problem here is that the rendering take very long time, up to 5 seconds. My guess is this is caused by the heavy payload of the stylesheets and JavaScript.

So I have also tried by using the PieClient option, which seems to entirely get rid of both CSS and JavaScript, giving excellent performance. Problem here is that some key functionalities are lost, for example the OnEnter action in a input field and the ability to set focus to a field when a view loads. With these, it seems impossible to create a well-working mobile application that could be operated without using a stylus or keyboard.

I would have liked a third option, with some kind of "lean" CSS and JavaScript, but I don't think that possibility exists.

So how did you solve this problem, what approach did you choose? Looking forward to your input.

/Leif

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Leif

yes you're right Mobile Always Connected, formely known as Web Dynpro reduces the overall dataload to provide an excellent performance espacially optimized for mobile devices.

SAP NetWeaver Mobile Always Connected is supporting Stylesheets with NetWeaver 7.1 EHP 1.

It does get rid of JavaScript in general, but reduces it to a minimum.

It also adds some mobile specific key capabilities like:

- Device Recognition & Device Specific Rendering

- Integration of Peripherals

- Integration of Function Keys

Depending on the NetWeaver Version you are using, you should try to add the following parameter to your URL:

sap-wd-client=PieClient

sap-wd-client=Pie03Client

Example

http://idesmobileonline.sap.com/webdynpro/dispatcher/local/Congress/MobileWorkplace?sap-wd-client=Pi...

Feel free to visit also the mobile capability at SDN. This area provides you forum support for always connected (Mobile Web Dynpro) and for occasionally connected environments. It also includes a forum with a experienced mobile community.

[https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn/nw-mobile|https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn/nw-mobile]

Enjoy,

Stefan

leif_almgren
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Stefan, and many thanks for your reply.

The new release sounds very interesting. For your info, I did already use the parameter "sap-wd-client=PieClient" in my testing of Mobile WebDynpro, on Netweaver 7.0.

With what you write, it seems my wishes came through, but there are still a few question marks:

- Is there a possibility to use "OnEnter" events and to set focus to user elements, i.e. will the PieClient renderer create the neccessary javascript for this?

- Is the demo application you linked to running on this new release? If yes, why are there no stylesheets? If this is an optional setting, are there any demo applications available with stylesheets?

Best regards,

Leif