cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Limitation on the number of tables in a Database Schema!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

Is there a limitation on the number of tables present in a schema that can be fetched in Designer while creating a universe.

Customer is using Oracle schema which contains 22000 tables and while trying to insert tables in Designer XIR2 (or trying to get the table browser) Designer hangs.

In BO 6.5 there are no issues while retrieving the tables from the schema in Designer.

Is there a way to retrieve only a certain amount of tables in Designer XIR2?

Thanks for your help!

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Thanks for the information.

If there is no limitation of tables in a database schema which is accessed in universe, then why designer hangs when we click to open the table browser. There is sufficient memory RAM i.e. 2 GB.

When we try to open the table browser Designer hangs without any error message. Please let me know the reasons and how I can correct this.

Regards,

Ganesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ganesh

It's entirely possible that it hasn't hung, it's simply working slowly. This delay could be as much a newtork issue as a volume issue.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ganesh,

Following are the Answers regaring your queries:

Query : 1

There is no limitation on the number of components (objects, classes, tables, joins, hierarchies, lov's, etc) in a universe. But of course as the number of components increases, you could run into problems related to performance.

This depends on available RAM and the processing speed.

Query 2:

There is NO such option to select the number of table to be automatically inserted in to the universe because Suppose if you have 22000 tables in DB and you want only 1000 table ,you entered 1000 tables as the value to insert tables in Universe then How Designer will come to know which tables you want to take in Schema to build the Universe?

It all depends on the DBA and Universe Designer which tables are important for organizations reporting needs.

When you create connection to the DB then Connection will fetch all table from the database and we canu2019t limit DB data retrieval.

I hope this Helps...

Thanks...

Pratik

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ganesh,

Query 2: If you have a naming convention you could create your own strategy which only retrieves those that match the name. For instance say all you wanted related to GL and all tables views etc began with GL_ then you could limit the table selecting using a strategy to only return those tabes starting with GL_.

Of course it would probably be easier to provide a specific logon and give that logon limited access.

Regards

Alan