Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What are IDOC and ALE?

MPGraziano
Participant
0 Kudos

We are getting a new system that will be interfacing to SAP via IDOC and or ALE

I am required to quickly reply back as far as what will be required from a BASIS side if they will interface using IDOCS and ALEs

Thank YOU and kind Regards!

M.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

ALE- Application Link & Enabling

it is a middleware tool that allows the data to be distributed and transferred in a consistent manner. IDoc which stands for Intermediate Document uses ALE to transfer the data.

XI is also another middleware that allows IDoc to be transferred between systems.

~Krithika

former_member187565
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Maria,

Application Link Enabling (ALE) is a mechanism or u can say that it's a tool for the exchange of business data between loosely-coupled R/3 applications built by customers of SAP, the enterprise resource management program. ALE provides SAP customers with a program distribution model and technology that enables them to interconnect programs across various platforms and systems.That means that ALE can integrate business processes between R/3 Systems and non-R/3 systems as well as between R/3 Systems.

There are three layers in the ALE system:

a) application services,

b) distribution services, and

c) communication services.

The vehicle for data transfer is called an IDoc (intermediate document), which is a container for the application data to be transmitted.

After a user performs an SAP transaction, one or more IDocs are generated in the sending database and passed to the ALE communication layer. The communication layer performs a Remote Function Call (RFC), using the port definition and RFC destination specified by the customer model. The IDoc is transmitted to the receiver, which may be an R/3, R/2, or some external system. If the data is distributed from a master system, the same transaction performed by the sender will be performed by the receiving system, using the information contained in the IDoc.

Changes made to fields in master data tables can be set to trigger distribution of the changes to slave systems, so that multiple database servers can update the same information simultaneously. IDocs carry information directly between SAP systems. In order to communicate with a non-SAP system, an IDoc is first transmitted to an intermediary system that translates the data to a format that will be understood by the receiver. Return data also passes through the translating system, where it is again encapsulated into an IDoc.

Now comes to ur 2nd query basis guys duties over IDOCS & ALE

a)Creating the RFC

b)monitoring different layers over ALE

c)Archiving IDOCS (when required)

d)use the Idoc display tool(we02)

e)use the Idoc Search tool (we09)

f)use the Status Monitor Tool(bd87)

g)Troubleshooting the Inbound Idocsu2026.

Regards,

MPGraziano
Participant
0 Kudos

WOW, thanks , that was great info!

m.

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

I guess it varies from implementation to impelmentation. In some companies the only thing Basis does is create RFC destination and logical system . But in some companies from Port defination, to partner profiles (ofcourse the inbound and outbound parameters need to be provided by the development team). I am sure there is more to it as well.

I know I did not answer your question but I hope it gives you an idea.

Thanks,

Naveed

MPGraziano
Participant
0 Kudos

I understand we will be interfacing to third part product for asset info. so that information will be sent and pulled from R/3 and then sent to BI (which we currently do anyways) for reporting.

I have found information regarding what IDOCs are but, what does ALE stand for. Is it another mechanism for which to transfer data? mainly IDOCs?

m.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Application Link Enabling (ALE) is SAP proprietary technology that enables data communications between two or more SAP R/3 systems and/or R/3 and external systems. It is basically the scheduling mechanism that defines when and between which partners and what kind of data will be exchanged on a regular or event triggered basis.

While IDocs have to be understood as a data exchange protocol, EDI and ALE are typical use cases for IDocs. R/3 uses IDocs for both EDI and ALE to deliver data to the receiving system.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

Naveed

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

ALE is the technology name (Application Linking & Enabling) but the techonlogy to achive this is RFC.

IDOC is a format- Intermediate document, exchanged inbetween the R3 systems and the format type usually will be XML.

Ahamed

Former Member