cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does local debugging require an install of the portal?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear All

Forgive me for such a newbie question.. I've searched around the forums as well as Google but I cannot find the answer to my very easy question:

I have installed the SAP portal developer toolkit (PDK) for Visual Studio 2005. I also installed the "SAP Portal Runtime for .NET" on my development PC. (Windows XP).

Here's the real newbie question:

Do I need an instance of the Enterprise Portal installed somewhere for me to be able to locally debug the .ascx pages created in Visual Studio? The diagram I saw in the installation guide seemed to suggest that, by using the runtime for .net, there was no need for an enterprise portal (except to deploy).

So is this correct?

There is a "SAP" section in my Server Explorer inside Visual Studio. Within there is a "Portals" group, and within there is a "portal" entry. This was there after I installed the .net portal runtime, it is not something I added in.

However it doesn't seem to work... When you right-click and press "Refresh" you see "The server committed a protocol violation. Section=ResponseStatusLine"; which is also the error I see when I try to locally debug portal content (.ascx) pages.

Looking at the properties, the "Host" is set to "localhost", the "Port" is set to 8050 (which is the port configured in the .net runtime); the "Username" is ".SapPortal" which is the local user I created when I installed the portal runtime as per the installation instructions; Password is ******** (the password for the user) and TimeOut is 15 (RememberPassword = true).

Should I not be pointing this to the port used by the .net portal runtime?

What should this server be pointing to so I can "refresh" it?

I did try to download the notes from

https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/baf0586e-0c01-0010-d0a1-9d14114e...

...But this gives a 404, and I can't find any documentation anywhere else

Thanks a lot for the assistance.

Ben

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

rima-sirich
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Ben,

Yes, you need a Portal. You can read more about debugging [here|https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn/go/portal/prtroot/com.sap.km.cm.docs/lw/developercontent/sap%20portal%20development%20kit%20for%20.net%20developer's%20Guide/Previewing%20and%20Debugging%20Portal%20Applications_Debugging%20Portal%20Applications.html]. Full PDK for .NET documentation is available [here|https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/lw/uuid/95628888-0d01-0010-7d97-f0d771999d0f].

Best Regards,

Rima.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Rima,

Do you mean a local instance of a portal installed on your development machine or

you configure your .Net environment to point to your remote DEV portal ?

Regards

Nick

rima-sirich
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Nick,

You need to configure your .Net environment to point to your local or remote Portal.

Best Regards,

Rima.

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

I am similarly new to the SAP PDK (but not ASP.Net) and have the same problem. The initial post describes in detail the exact same problem that I have, but the answers are almost evasive in their ambiguity!

What I can not yet find out is:

1. How to fix this problem

2. Whether I can deploy not just to "a portal" (that much is obviously a given) but specifically to a local one on the same local machine - the runtime portal. This is desired as I do not have access to any other portal at present and simply want to develop code on a standalone machine.

I am running VS2005 with PDK 2.5 with hotfix on Vista Ultimate and using the Windows firewall.

I have no other current network problems.

Thanks in advance for any detailed help on this

James.

rima-sirich
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hello James,

Portal Runtime for .NET is not enough in order to develop with PDK for .NET.

You need an installation of SAP Netweaver Portal.

You can develop with PDK 2.5 for .NET for any portal ( local or remote ). You just need to add this portal definition to server explorer and use it. There is very detailed documentation that describes how to manage portal connections in server explorer. This documentation is available [here|https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn/go/portal/prtroot/com.sap.km.cm.docs/lw/developercontent/sap%20portal%20development%20kit%20for%20.net%20developer's%20Guide/Connecting%20to%20SAP%20NetWeaver%20Systems_Managing%20Portal%20Connections_Managing%20Portal%20Connections.html]

Hope that it answers at least a part of your questions.

Regards,

Rima

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for your helpful reply.

I understand that it is possible to deploy/debug using a locally-installed portal, but our IT/SAP expert says that because of resources, disc space etc that installing on my Dell Precision M6300 (i.e. beefy) laptop is a non-starter!

Are the system requirements really that high? Is there not some minimal install that would allow test/debug on a standalone machine?

Thanks for any advice on this

James.

rima-sirich
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hello James,

Unfortunately, I am not familiar with SAP Netweaver Portal hardware requirements. In any case, I would advise you not to install it on your development machine. Try to find some team/test machine for it or use an existing Portal installation if you have.

Regards,

Rima