cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multiple tables feeding one table

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

What is the best method to feed data one central table with data from multiple other tables?

Here is the scenerio/requirement:

>BI Query 1 --> VC Table 1 --|

>.........................................|

>BI Query 2 --> VC Table 2 --|

>.........................................>----> Master Table to display on VC dashboard

>BI Query 3 --> VC Table 3 --|

>.........................................|

>BI Query 4 --> VC Table 4 --|

Viewing data in the individual tables is straight forward enough, but what are the recommended methods of showing data from Tables 1, 2, 3 and 4 (which contain the same fields/structure) in a final 'master' table?

Possible approaches:

1] Referencing cells in Tables1-4 from within the master table;

2] Feeding/sending values to the master table from Tables1-4;

The reason for not simply grouping 4 initial tables together (i.e. one below another) in the first place is due to each table displaying column headers, which not only takes up unnecessary space, but also surplus to requirements, considering the structure of Tables1-4 are the same (e.g. Table 1 = sales figures for company ABC, Table 2 = sales figs for Company XYZ).

Alternative suggestions are welcomed, as are methods on achieving the two possible approaches above.

Many Thanks,

Chet.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (5)

Answers (5)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all -

I have about the same needs except that I am trying to combine fields that are unique to table 1 and unique to table 2. Both tables have common and unique fields (columns). The problem is that when I use the combine operator with table 1 and 2, it returns all of the combined fields but I get only one record, i was expecting to get all the rows from both tables.

If anybody could help.

Thank you,

Claude.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Claude,

Any help with that? I am trying the same thing i just get one row result

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ali -

I finally decided to redesign the app. and managed to do it by changing/adding some BI queries.

Claude.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I was able to do it.

In the same app. Instead of feeding 2 table into a 3rd table. I fed table into table into table and got my result

Thanks

Ali

Former Member
0 Kudos

Edited by: <Former Member> to create a new thread

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mustafa, Basheer,

Thanks for replies, very helpful indeed - I'll give it a go... (EDIT: just tried, so far , so good)

In the meantime...the reason I mentioned the potential option of "Referencing cells in Tables1-4 from within the master table;" is because I will also need to perform calculations based on the values found in Tables1-4. For a simple example, take a value from a specific cell in Table 2 (say, Cell1), multiply/subtract/divide by a value in a specific cell in Table 3 (say, Cell2), and display it in the 'master' display table.

My intial thoughts suggest creating a new field in the 'master' display table (of type expression box) and creating a formula, which references the two cells (Cell1 and Cell2, both of which will have to appear hidden) to perform the calculation. (I am assuming I can use the General>Data Source Field>Field Name to action this).

If you can kindly confirm this is the best approach (keeping in mind that many cells displayed in the 'master' table will calculated based on Tables1-4 - any performance issues??) , that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Chet.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Chet,

I don't believe it is possible to reference specific cells in a table in the manner you have described. You can reference the cells in an individual selected row of a table by using the corresponding field/column name. However, I don't think you can reference individual cells anywhere in the table like you can with Excel spreadsheets for example.

I'd be interested to know if you do come up with an approach for individual cell referencing.

Regards,

Mustafa.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Chet,

You can use 'Union' or 'Intersect' or 'Combine' operators to meet your requirements.

Regards

Basheer

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Chet,

You should be able to meet this requirement by using the UNION operator. Each of the BI Queries should be connected to an Input Port on the UNION operator. The combined dataset is then provided from the Output Port of the UNION operator, which is connected to the Input Port of the display table.

Regards,

Mustafa.