cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connect an R/3 to an SQL Server DDBB

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

I have a problem. I want to connect an R/3 (ECC) to an MS SQL Server DDBB. I have read in the SAP NOTE 178949 that if the R/3 is a UNIX System I can't connect to an MSm SQL Server DDBB, and that's why I need your help. How can I do this????

Do I have to install an SAP XI (SAP PI) to do this??

Is there another way to do it without the SAP PI?

Thank you very much.

Best Regards...

Pablo Mortera.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I have a problem. I want to connect an R/3 (ECC) to an MS SQL Server DDBB. I have read in the SAP NOTE 178949 that if the R/3 is a UNIX System I can't connect to an MSm SQL Server DDBB, and that's why I need your help. How can I do this????

It´s simply not possible.

To connect to an external database you need

- a database client for the source system (in your case Unix)

- a database interface library (libdb.dll)

There is no database client for SQL Server on Unix (btw. "Unix" is a generic term and can be several OSes).

The only way left is to add a Windows applicatoin server to your instance and install the database client and the library there and use DBCO to configure the access.

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Somebody gave me an answer that after it was not a very good one.

I Still need help

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

I don't know what type of data they want to send.

I'm the Basis person. I only want to do the connection between the SQL server and the R/3 system.

I think it will be the FI module.

Best Regards...

Pablo Mortera.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Can you explain more of what you are trying to do? Do you just need to extract data?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

I'll try to explain the case.

We have an SAP ECC 6.0 system in Oracle and Unix. We want to connect this SAP ECC 6.0 to an MS SQL Server DataBase that we have in another system.

The connection is from the SAP system to the MS SQL Server system.

But looking at the note that I told before it says that when we use a Unix system, we can't connect it. It says that we have to install in the EXE files an .dll file in the Unix system.

Is there a way to connect de SAP ECC system to the MS SQL Server system by another way.

I know we can use the SAP PI to do this, but is there another way instead of using the PI??

Thank you very much...

Pablo Mortera.

Former Member
0 Kudos

If you are just trying to connect to the DB itself then setting up odbc connectivity might be one way. What type of data are you looking to transfer?