cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transport between BI 32bit OS and BI 64bit OS

MPGraziano
Participant
0 Kudos

We are in the process of migrating our current 32bit BI 7.0 to 64bit .

While migrating it will happen that our ie. Dev will be migrated to 64bit , but we may have development that we need to migrate to Prdn thru QAS that will both be @ 32bit OS.

Is this possible?

Thanks

Maria

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

This is will not create any impact on the tranports between quality, production and 64 bit development system.

Only consideration is should be of same patch level.

Hope it helps

Regards

KT

MPGraziano
Participant
0 Kudos

Correct, Thank You, this is what I was 'assuming' the OS should not be an issue.

However, since the Kernels will be 32bit/64bit will this not factor in?

As well, I am installing from scratch, with a different compilation, this may cause an issue correct?

I have found that my installing from scratch , then export from 32bit , import into 64bit, I get a cleaner system and smoother migration. (this is how I successfully recently migrated our ECC system)

M.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi, as for the mixed 32/64 bits environment take a look at this SAP note : 192822

You said you did export/import to migrate from 32 to 64 bits, have you tried (if in Oracle) the backup/restore or just plain data file copies to do migration? I have done this and it does not takes too long, don´t have to do complete SAP installation from scratch.

Good Luck

Edited by: AC on Jan 22, 2009 1:27 AM

MPGraziano
Participant
0 Kudos

I am also moving from sql2000 to sql2005 and of course installing BI 7.0 into 64bit OS

I think it is best to install. We do have to change the kernel from32bit to 64bit as well

btw we are a SQL shop (actually mixed oracle and sql) but SAP is totally SQL / Windows 2003

m

MPGraziano
Participant
0 Kudos

btw this is a note for Oracle do you know of one for SQL ?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ok, yes, in SQL going from 32 to 64 can be done also using detach/attach procedure as per note 666805 but it is just a matter of taste.

I don´t think you will face any problem at all in mixed environments using SQL server, Oracle is more complex and don´t have any problem (my personal experience). Remember that comunications won´t have nothing to do with 32 or 64 bits, also transports are import procedures so if you do move SQL doing export/import procedure, a transport for sure won´t have any problem either.

Just keep all systems at the same SP level, kernel will be different but if you keep tp and R3trans at similar levels you won´t have problems

Good luck

Edited by: AC on Jan 22, 2009 4:13 PM

MPGraziano
Participant
0 Kudos

Thank You so Much!!! ALL

MPGraziano
Participant
0 Kudos

BUT as I stated I am also upgrading from SQL 2000 to SQL 2005.

So the detach /attach method (I have considered as well) may not be as clean as export, install ECC and import

m.