cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

File adapter: What happens if processing time is larger than poll interval?

0 Kudos

Hi All

I have a scenario where I poll for the file and process it.

What happens if the processing time is larger than poll interval?

For ex, if my poll interval is 1 sec, and the time taken by XI to process the file is abosut 3-4 seconds?

For the first time, XI would pick the file and start processing.

Even before finishing the processing of the file, will XI pickup the file again on the next second, as the poll interval is 1sec?

So, if the processing time is 4 sec, will XI pics up the file for 4 times?

Please let me know how I can solve this issue.

Many Thanks

Chandra

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Chandra,

As mentioned by Pooja, since you know that the processing time is around 3-5 seconds, the safest bet is to perform a combination of the 2 steps.

1> Increase your polling time to a safe value of about 30 seconds

2> Set your processing mode in the adapter to "DELETE".

This will delete the file from the source directory when it polls for the file and hence will save you the headache of deleting unwanted duplicate output files. Also it will pick up the file properly since the poll time is a safer and higher value than the processing time.

Glad to help,

Kshitij

Former Member
0 Kudos

Once it starts processing, file will be locked by the adapter engine....So next time when adapter engine polls , you see the file locked error in communication channel monitoring. There is a note which explains about this problem and you have to unlock that user in locking adapter in visual admin to resolve the problem.

Regards,

Ravi

VijayKonam
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

One pecularity with file adapter is, if the input file is in error or is locked (may be), it will not process the next file until the issue is resolved.

VJ

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Chandra,

Why dont you increase the polling interval or if you dont want to pick the same file again, set the processing mode in the CC as delete.

Thanks,

Pooja Pandey

SudhirT
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Yes,

it will pick the 4 files in 4 sec.

Provided the files are different.

thanks.

Edited by: Sudhir Tiwari on Jan 21, 2009 7:32 AM