cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Primary usage of ABAP and Java API's

Former Member
0 Kudos

Can any one give an example of a scenario where ABAP API and Java API is utilized to perform the activities that are possible in Console and Data Manager?

As far as I understand any Java application can access MDM Server using Java API and Portal users can use the Java API to work with the MDM Server. Likewise users from any ABAP system like CRM or ECC can do the same using ABAP API.

To further explain my question, can anyone give a real time example where Java API used from an external application (not the SAP Enterprise Portal) to perform activities on MDM Server. Also example of any ABAP System, using ABAP API to connect to MDM Server and perform activities possible in Console and Data Manager.

Thanks.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

To add to Harrison, ABAP API are used in BW system where in you extract master data from BW system & send to the port location of MDM using ABAP API, which is then merged & deduplicated in MDM using matching mode. Consolidated data is sent back for reporting in BW. ABAP API's are also used if you want to have online access to MDM to get updated data in backend ABAP system.

In case of JAVA API, let me tell the case we covered in our recent case. We have a workflow in MDM which has very limited functionality & scope for customization. Thus we used guided procedure (GP) in portal to implement clients business process for master data creation. In this we used MDM as data base & to store data while all business processes were handled through GP. We used JAVA API to run the strategy in matching mode to check if material is already created or not. If yes, message was given to user before he start process of creating new material.

Former Member
0 Kudos

An example of using the ABAP API would be if you wanted to use the SAP Business Workflow engine in ECC to power a workflow around master data as opposed to the workflow engine inside MDM or a guided procedure. You could build your workflow in Business Workflow and use MDM to store the data and provide the validations through the ABAP API.

The Java API is commonly used when the Portal iViews do not support the full functionality required. For example, one of my customers wanted to use the Portal as a front-end to MDM, but the Universal Worklist does not show the "material number" of the record inside the workflow task, so we wrote a custom application with the Java API that allows an end-user to search the MDM repository for a given "material number" and find out what workflow ID (task) that material is assigned to.