cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

issue while importing records

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi MDM Gurus,

I am facing a problem while records are getting imported in MDM. The problem is when I am importing records in MDM it is mixing up the field values if null for the records which have the same match record key.

Eg: I have following data:

in this Mobileno is key field and records are getting imported with the help of this key

Firstname lastname Mobile

aaa bbb 987654321

ccc 987654321

O/p is produced as follows

Firstname lastname Mobileno

ccc bbb 987654321

First name of a person is getting mixed up with last name of another person having the same mobile number as that field is empty while importing. My requirement is it should not overwrite null values or if some values is already there Null values should not overwrite the already present data.

Has anybody come across this problem

Thanks & Regards

Kiran

Edited by: Kiran on Jan 20, 2009 12:58 PM

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Kiran,

You have an option in MDM Import manager Configuration option

Default Null interpretation->Ignore Nulls or Overwrite Nulls.

You can select Ignore Nulls so that Null values are ignord and come in as Blank in MDM.

Hope It Helped

Thanks & Regards

Simona Pinto

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

Thanks for your prompt replies. I have already set Default NULL interpretation to Ignore Nulls and also set Update all mapped fileds option in Import Manager.

Also Ankur if I set Update all NULL fields it will only update the NULL fields of the matching existing

destination record(s) based on this source record. This doesnt solve my problem

Thanks & Regards

Kiran

former_member198313
Contributor
0 Kudos

ok Kiran,

so I understand that You have already taken care of updation.

The only thing I can see that why its replacing first name with another value is because of same Mobile number since Mobile number is key matching field in Import manager.

Since Mobile number is matching field, its finding second record as duplicate of first record. Hence it updates the fields as per map properties. This is completely normal.

The only solution is that you should use a Unique Key as Matching Field in Import Manager. 2 records can not have same mobile number.

Please clarify if I misunderstood something.

+ An

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Kiran,

While importing, Use a Combination of Fields as the matching fields.Like mobile number + Name/Id etc as a Field combination to import teh records.

This will import all the Unique record combinations into MDM and so not overwrite any existing records.

Another thing that i find difficult to understand is that how can two customers share a common mobile number.

Use either a single field that has unique values for each record for importing or if you do not have nay primary unique field in your repository use combination of fields.

Then select your import action as Update all mapped fields - Thsi will updtae the existing records with the new matching recod values. and Ignore nulls to preserve it.

Hope It Helped

Thanks & Regards

Simona Pinto

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ankur,

Mobile number field is unique field in my case. Let me explain you with another eg

Consider the following case where in firsttime the data comes with following record.My unique key in this case is filed1

field1 field2 field3 field4

aaa bbb ccc ddd

MDM stores it as:

aaa bbb ccc ddd

Again data comes in MDM as:

aaa fff

it now gets stored up as:

aaa bbb fff ddd

which is creating a problem as data is getting mixed and not getting stored as it comes to MDM.

Thanks & Records

Kiran

former_member198313
Contributor
0 Kudos

Exactly Dear,

This is not error, this is they way the Import map is designed here.

Since field1 is key matching field, MDM is taking the next data as duplicate based since its same as aaa.

Now, you made Update option as Update ALL fields.

Thus MDM updates the field3 (fff).

Sine you also chosen Ignore Nulls

MDM not updates the field2 (bbb) and field 4(ddd) since the new records has no data into it.

Hope this clarifies,

Thanks for good example,

Please suggest which is the output you want after second data. So can suggest the solution accordingly.

+ An

former_member198313
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Kiran,

Since you are using Mobile Number as key field, the import manager is matching second record with first on the basis of mobile number.

Since the mobile number is same, its overwriting the first record. Alternatively you can use MDM_ID or combination of 2 or more fields as matching key if dont want to use mobile number.

Also, Select Update [NULL] fields as update option for matched records.

Hope this clarifies and help,

+ An

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Kiran,

Check the Imported Actions in the Records Matching tab. Delete the existing records using Data manager and import the file once again.

There are various import actions available like Update All, Update NULL etc. Check these settings in record Matching tab.

Regards,

Jitesh Talreja