cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DP, Renaming CVC's?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello all

I have a situation where the content of one of my characteristics is changing name. In BW one of the entries in the characteristic is being changed from A to B.

We have a ton of CVC's generated with the old name "A", so if we load data from BW we will get double CVC's since they'd now be generated with the name name "B" and reside in the planning area along with all the old CVC's tagged with "A".

Note that it's not the characteristic that is changing, only one of the possible entries in it.

Is there a way to rename the fields of a CVC without deleting and recreating it? I'd really like to avoid this since it will mean loss of historical data.

I was thinking that perhaps the entire planning area could be backed up to a cube and then loaded back in, the change could perhaps then happen via coding or similar.

The last option is to have BW map the field so it's still the old name in DP, this is a bit "unclean " though and something we would like to avoid if possible.

So I was wondering if anyone have any experience in this situation?

Regards

Simon

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Simon,

The situtation that you have defined seems to be the ideal case for "Realignment of Chracteristic combinations".

We had a similar situation in which the old characteristic codes were being replaced by the new ones. Following were the activities that we undertook to take care of this business event.

1. Created an internal mapping for the infoobject that was being migrated and reextracted the historical data with the new mapping, so as to reflect the KF values against the new Characteristic code.

2. Realigned the entire DP master data for the characteristic which was undergoing migration.

All subsequent updates to the infocube was routed through the new update rule comprising of the internal mapping.

Hope this helps

Regards,

Ankur

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hmm, this sounds very interesting. Thanks.

I've looked a bit at the realignment transaction and it does look very promising.

Using it i suppose I could use the old data to generate new CVC's with the new data and then have the data from the old CVCs copied over?

All we really need is to bring our CVC's into line with the new naming coming over from BW.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Just a small update on this. I've done some experimenting with the realignment transaction and it seems to be able to do all we need. Some better selection criteria would have been nice when doing more fine grained realignment but i guess you can do what you need through more steps.

Thanks for the information.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for updating.

Feels nice to know that the issue got resolved.

Regards,

Ankur

Answers (0)