cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UNIX to Windows migration

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello experts,

I am in the process of planning a migration from UNIX to Windows and an in need of some assistance.

Current hardware is HP-UX 11.23 on RX6600 Itanium; SAP ECC5.0 non-unicode; 200 users; 400GB database.

Can you please point out what hardware I would need to replace the RX6600? I will be using IBM hardware.

I am planning on installing ECC6.0 unicode, can you please suggest how much more space I would need for the conversion to Unicode?

Thanks and regards,

Iqbal

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I am in the process of planning a migration from UNIX to Windows and an in need of some assistance.

Current hardware is HP-UX 11.23 on RX6600 Itanium; SAP ECC5.0 non-unicode; 200 users; 400GB database.

Just as information: To get support before, during and after the migration you need to have a certified migration consultant on-site. Otherwise you will loose support. See http://service.sap.com/osdbmigration.

Can you please point out what hardware I would need to replace the RX6600? I will be using IBM hardware.

I am planning on installing ECC6.0 unicode, can you please suggest how much more space I would need for the conversion to Unicode?

So you will install or migrate?

Usually it´s done the following way to size a system:

- You create a sizing project at http://service.sap.com/quicksizer

- you fill in the necessary data

- contact your vendor (in this case IBM), they will check the project

- in the summary of the sizing there will be a number of SAPS

- IBM will offer you an appropriate machine for your environment

Be aware of the fact, that HP-UX is a BigEndian platform whereas Windows is LittleEndian. So if you exchange binary data with other systems (non-SAP) they need to be aware of that fact.

For a test migration you can take the steps I posted in

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you Markus,

I am planning on installing ERP 6.0 Unicode (ECC 6.0), then upgrading our ECC 5.0 (non-Unicode) system to ECC 6.0 uni-code, do the export from the UNIX system and then importing into the Win system.

Can you please let me if this is the correct approach for this operation?

I got in contact with the hardware vendor ( IBM) and am awaiting a response.

Regards,

Iqbal

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> I am planning on installing ERP 6.0 Unicode (ECC 6.0), then upgrading our ECC 5.0 (non-Unicode) system to ECC 6.0 uni-code, do the export from the UNIX system and then importing into the Win system.

No need to install the Windows system, you will install the system with the export from the source system.

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Markus,

I am sorry and think I may have phrased the question incorrectly.

What I am trying to do is install ECC6.0 (uni-code) onto a windows environment to harness the HR module. Itu2019s the intention there after to incorporate the current ECC 5.0 non-unicode system, which is on Unix onto the ECC 6.0 platform.

What is the best method of doing this?

Thanks and regards,

Iqbal

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> What I am trying to do is install ECC6.0 (uni-code) onto a windows environment to harness the HR module. Itu2019s the intention there after to incorporate the current ECC 5.0 non-unicode system, which is on Unix onto the ECC 6.0 platform.

> What is the best method of doing this?

So that means you want to take the data of the non-Unicode Unix system to the Unicode Windows system? There is no easy way of doing this (no standard way), you would have to book an SLO service (http://service.sap.com/slo).

The easiest way would be:

- Upgrade your ECC 5.0 to ERP 6.0 Non-Unicode

- do a Unicode conversion

- do a migration to Windows

and then start implementing HR.

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank again Markus...

This answers my questionu2026

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor