cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Socket timeout / Read time out error

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

We are facing a Socket timeout/ Read time out error while running particular transaction in MII which involves couple of BAPI calls to SAP. The transaction runs on an event generated by User from front end.

We suspect that the issue may be the Data Volume which is returned from one BAPI and those needed to be processed through another BAPI which again returns huge Volume of data.

In order to arrive at a conclusion that this error pertains to "Data Volume"..we need inputs from experts who have faced such error.

It is to be noted that when we run this transaction through Scheduler it does not throw this error.

Kindly share experiences ..and guide.

Thanks

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

jcgood25
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

My immediate concerns would go to your design approach - if a user is initiating a synchronous request from the browser and waiting...and waiting...and waiting... they typically get impatient and will either push the button again or refresh the page because it could appear like it was hanging.

Would there be any way to logically reduce the double BAPI calls and large data volumes to improve efficiency?

You may have some doubts about my first two points, so I will throw out an educated guess that you are working on an MII 12.0 system and may be experiencing an http timeout between MII and your backend R/3 server, and it is actually a Visual Admin setting for http timeout that is killing the request made by the transaction.

Pedro shared some project related info with me not too long ago related to a potentially similar problem, where the HTTP Provider service inside NW's Visual Admin has a few configurable properties related to Servlets: ServletsLongDataTransferLimit and ServletsLongDataTransferTimeout. The Timeout setting appears to have a default of 180000 (I assume this equates to 3 minutes). Is this approximately when your user gets the fatal error?

@Pedro - can you shed some additional light on the resolution?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for your quick response Jeremy,

We are following the design as per the customer's SAP setup in the context of BAPI/RFC.

We would certianly indicate them about your approach of single BAPI call ..this being a work for customer end.

We are working on MII 11.5 system and testing is done using BLS Logic Editor.

We got to know about the Excution time out being the Global property be accessed through BLS.

We have increased the Execution Timeout to 500000,(I do not know if this is relevant to socket time out)

Still the transaction shows the error for socket timeout.

Even when We try to limit the repeater iterations, transaction is not working.

We tried 2 ways for BAPI calls

JCO start session and End session action blocks

JCO ERP Interface action block

but it is displaying the same timeout error.

Kindly give us any pointer..

agentry_src
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Which BAPI calls are you trying to use? Are these standard BAPIs or custom?

Thanks,

Mike

Former Member
0 Kudos

Amol,

did you try one time your BAPI call from the se37 transaction? If you have test it, what was the result?

How big is the answer? Which BAPI/RFC you are calling?

Jeremy point me to you, because he thought that you are running MII 12.0.x, so my experience with the

Timeout in 12.0.x is not relevant for you.

Regards

Pedro

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Pedro and Michael,

We are using standard BAPIs.

BAPI_PRODORDCONF_GETLIST for getting the list of all confermations (confirmation no and confirmation count) for a production order.

BAPI_PRODORDCONF_GETDETAIL to get the Failed GM and Goodsmovements for the provided confirmation no and confirmation count.

In first BAPI (BAPI_PRODORDCONF_GETLIST) inputs we are providing the order range so that we need to call the BAPI once for all records. The second BAPI (BAPI_PRODORDCONF_GETDETAIL ) is called in a loop for every confirmation no and confirmation counter returned as a response from first BAPI.

There may be more than 100 confirmation numbers and several counts (vary from 10 to 100 )for a confirmation no for one production order in the given range, this is what we found after analysing the response data from first BAPI.

agentry_src
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Amol,

Often confirmation data is used for some sort of reporting, but there may be a different method to gather the information more efficiently.

May I ask for what are you using the confirmation data? Or perhaps which pieces of data are you using?

Thanks,

Mike

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Michael,

We are generating Confirmation validation report which should display the target quantity and confirmed quantity from SQL database and compare these values with the confirmed quantity in SAP.

For a given date range, we are obtaining the processed production orders from SQL database and for these production orders we are getting a list of confirmations (confirmation no and confirmation count )

from the BAPI_PRODORDCONF_GETLIST BAPI.

We have to display the details of every confirmed quantity as well as the total quantity for a confirmed production order, hence we are generating an XML from the response of BAPI_PRODORDCONF_GETDETAIL BAPI and the data from SQL query.

Kindly let us know if there is any other method to fetch the information more efficiently.

Thanks,

Amol

agentry_src
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Amol,

Try testing BAPI_PRODORD_GET_DETAIL and select the OPERATION in the ORDER_OBJECTS (use an "X" in the field to select). That should give the quantities of YIELD, SCRAP, and REWORK already confirmed at each operation in the production order.

I think that will give you your desired information in a single call per order number rather than building it up from a lot of separate BAPI calls.

Let me know if it works, please.

Thanks,

Mike

Edited by: Michael Appleby on Jan 23, 2009 1:58 PM

agentry_src
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Amol,

Did this approach support your needs? Or did you really have to have the confirmation numbers and counters?

Thanks,

Mike