cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

can we ARCHIVE the old data

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi to all,

here i want to know i am using ECC 6.0 with windows 2003 and orcale 10g.

we are using sap last three years 2006,2007,2008.ok

now what i want to do ...i want to archive old data menas

if data is two years old then it can not be fetched in current.

can i do it with ARCHIVEING the data.....

if yes then how can i perform it.

With regards

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

thanks

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

You need

- an archiving software (external)

- an medium to store the data on (e.g. WORMs, optical storage)

- do the necessary customizing in transaction SARA

http://service.sap.com/archivelink

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Markas,

an archiving software (external)

Which software i want for that.an medium to store the data on (e.g. WORMs, optical storage)

which medium we can take can we go through with HP TAPE drive and Tape.

do the necessary customizing in transaction SARA

what kind of coutmaztion will be there in SARA.....i have to create archive object...or....

can you brief me.

regards

Anuj

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

>You need

>an archiving software (external)

>an medium to store the data on (e.g. WORMs, optical storage)

>do the necessary customizing in transaction SARA

Sorry to disagree but I think that archiving software and medium are optional.

We archive every month our production R/3 data.

We do have an archiving software (Filenet) that we use for incoming and outgoing documents but we decided NOT to use it for data archiving.

We just have a dedicated filesystem for archive files. We do need them online because we use the PBS add-on to access the archived data.

There is a retention period for the archived files. After that they are deleted and we just keep bakcups on tapes.

Regards,

Olivier

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Olivier,

Sorry to disagree but I think that archiving software and medium are optional.

Technically yes - you´re right.

We archive every month our production R/3 data.

We do have an archiving software (Filenet) that we use for incoming and outgoing documents but we decided NOT to use it for data archiving.

We just have a dedicated filesystem for archive files. We do need them online because we use the PBS add-on to access the archived data.

There is a retention period for the archived files. After that they are deleted and we just keep bakcups on tapes.

That approach is ok of course - but how do you make sure the archived files are not changed? I mean, everyone who has access to the data could change/modify it....

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Sir,

that was the dicussion of options which we require.....

but what is the solution for that....

regards

Anuj

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

"Solution" for what?

This is company and local law dependent.

In Germany we must e. g. make sure, that all the data we archive must not be changed. If it´s a simple file on the filesystem, the possibility to change it is there - and hence we need to put it on a storage system, that does not allow that.

This is, of course, true only for business related data, we can archive technical IDOCs on filesystem of course.

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Markus,

>but how do you make sure the archived files are not changed? I mean, everyone who has access to the >data could change/modify it....

Yes, of course but it is the same for the live data in the database. Every one with the access rights can modify the data. At last, you need to trust at least someone !

The audit people validated the solution.

Regards,

Olivier

Former Member
0 Kudos

>we can archive technical IDOCs on filesystem of course.

We even delete the idoc archive files as soon as they are generated...

Yes, each company has to define its own archiving policy by respecting legal and internal rules.

There is no generic recipe with a "step by step" procedure....

Olivier

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Markus,

Your Question --That approach is ok of course - but how do you make sure the archived files are not changed? I mean, everyone who has access to the data could change/modify it....

To answer your question in a nutshell.

All of the possibilities for changing, deleting etc are deactivated in the PBS transactions so that the user can only view Data using our Transactions, which are transparent to the SAP original transactions. The Archive Data is copied into PBS where nothing can be changed. Data or rather an Index run can be deleted and reinstalled, but as it is not possible to archive an index that has already been archived, the delete and reinstall is shown. Yes anyone who knows his way around can delete information, but as every step is entered in a table/tables the person would have to delete these entry as well, in doing this a entry would be missing and in which case the reason for such would have to be explained, if someone would ask. Such as a Tax Auditor.

Hope this answered your question

Mark

Former Member
0 Kudos

dear Mark,

did you read my problem .......

please provide me the solution how can i preform it.

regards

anuj

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Yes anyone who knows his way around can delete information, but as every step is entered in a table/tables the person would have to delete these entry as well, in doing this a entry would be missing and in which case the reason for such would have to be explained, if someone would ask. Such as a Tax Auditor.

We had to make sure that even those people having physical access to the storage can´t delete something.

Markus

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Did you read the link I gave you?

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Anuj,

If your in the US or another country you can get a hold of a couple resellers for the PBS software in the US and other Countries around the world. This and other information can be found on the webside.

www.PBS-software.com.

This Link sends you to the FAQ side http://www.pbs-software.com/FAQ.14.0.html?&L=1

Like I said, even if someone has access to delete Data from the archive, this entry is registered in a couple tables and can't be hidden, unless they know there way very well in SAP.

Of cource there are other way as mentiond above. In the long run it depends on what you really need.

Regards

Mark

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Anuj,

What PBS does is takes the archived Data that you have in SARA , compacs this Data and and stores this where the clint chooses to store Data(File System, IBM, Content link etc...) This Archived Data can be accessed by using the PBS transactions, which are transparent to the SAP transactions. Your users can view the archived Data but they can not change or delete anything like the SAP transactions.

If you have a look at the links I sent, you will find a lot of information, you can also contact PBS or a reseller directly.

Regards

Mark

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Mark,

but if do not want to use any external software then data archiving is possible.....?

can you tell me for that what procedure i have to follow.

Regards

Anuj

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Anuj,

You can do normal archiving using the transaction SARA, but as far as I know you are limited to which transactions you can use to see the archived data and the view is limited. Am not 100% sure on that as SAP has done a lot over the years.

I do know for sure 100%, if you want to see archived Data as if it was still in your DB and not archived the PBS Software is the way to go!

Regards

Mark

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear,

Through SARA how can i config ...?

can you send me any doc or suggest me to check anywhere.

regards

Anuj

Former Member
0 Kudos

thanks dear,

i am checking out

Regards

Anuj