Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem facing during installing a printer

Santanu
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi all

I am trying to install a printer in ECC6 installed on HP Unix 11 with Oracle 10g

using Acess Method : S: Print Using SAP Prot or U: Print Using Berkeley Protocol .

When trying to save the printer the error coming "Operation CHECK_HOSTSPOOL(DEVICE) failed" .

Any idea ??

Regards

Santanu

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Is it a printer installed on server? try local type also check the SM21 logs if you can find something.

Santanu
Explorer
0 Kudos

No I am not using printer installed on server. I am using a line printer installed at an Window System with Access Method S or U .

Regards

Santanu

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

1st try to print by giving Host Spool Access Method as F: printing on front end printing. then select the printer as LOCL and try printing. if this works then go for changing to other Access methods.

Just see whether the printer is defined at OS level or not. try to ping it once from OS level.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Are you able to ping the windows server on which the printer is installed from your SAP server. Also ensure that port 515 is open on that server for your SAP application server. .

With regards.

Ruchit.

Santanu
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi,

I am able to ping the Windows server on which the printer is installed.

And from other SAP system there is no issue printing on that printer.

Regards

Santanu

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Santanu,

What about telnet at port 515?

Regards.

Ruchit

Santanu
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi,

Telnet to port 515 is sucessful.

I feel the problem is at SAP server side not at the Windows system where printer is installed.

Regards

Santanu

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Santanu,

Are you sure that you are giving the correct destination host and host printer ?

Regards.

Ruchit.

JPReyes
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

When using U: method can you check if you get the same message when using the IP address of the printserver instead of the hostname?

Regards

Juan

Santanu
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi

I have copied the configuration from the SAP server where printing is working properly.

At the time of saving the printer error is showing "Operation CHECK_HOSTSPOOL(DEVICE) failed" .The same error is also coming when we are trying "check connection" in SPAD also for the same printer.

Using IP address also same error .

Regards

Santanu

JPReyes
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Is this a new installation?... can you check if you have a SPO process available also check that the spool server is configured in SPAD.

Regards

Juan

Former Member
0 Kudos

I hope you are not copying the spool server details as well in SPAD.

Regards.

Ruchit.

Santanu
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi

There is one SPO process showing in SM50 and it is in waiting state.

Spool server also configured in SPAD.

No I did not copy spool server details . I selected the only available spool server .

Regards

Santanu

Santanu
Explorer
0 Kudos

Please confirm one thing , is it necessary to install any printer from OS level at SAP server. I am using Access Method U and S.

Regards

Santanu

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Santanu,

In case of berkley protocol (U) The printer must be installed at the windows server or the print server (destination host) level but not at SAP application server level. That is why it is called remote printing.

Regards.

Ruchit.

Santanu
Explorer
0 Kudos

Thank you every body.

I was missing the activation part .

Regards

Santanu