cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Build Production System by copying Development System

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi colleagues,

We are requested to install the Production system of an ERP landscape by copying the development system (after some cleaning activities and 'frozen'). We are looking for reasons to demonstrate to the Business people that this is not the recommended way to do that, (it should be a fresh installation, and then import the corresponding change requests).

Could you give me some hints on this?

Thanks a lot!!!

Fermín.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

JPReyes
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

This is quite a courious thread, usually you have a project team and a technical lead that build the lanscape during the blue print face, during this stage the team discuss with all parties and decide and approve on the procedure to deploy the lanscape and is usually based on SAP best practices.

Now, I don't have a document that i can refer to but basically I think your approach is correct, in top of that I will strongly suggest to use a QA system in order to filter and test and customizations before sending them to a production system.

Thats my 2 cents.

Regards

Juan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Fermin,

As Juan said your approach is correct. And so is suggestion for quality system. While there may or may not be a documentary evidence to prove it your can prove your point by using simple logic. Please tell your client or team that there might be case where there is some non-productive or purely test data created on your development system. This could master data or transaction data (FI postings for example). Now you would not want such data to be present in your production environment. I mean Auditors are going to have a ball.

Regards.

Ruchit Khushu.

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I'm not sure how such a destructive idea of copying a dev system to build a production system cropped into the minds of people then there is no point in having a landscape strategy and design. I strongly recomend that a production system should be a fresh install with changes getting transported and you should have three system landscape in place.

Regards

Satish babu