cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extend a MAXDB database.

0 Kudos

Hi,

Is there a way I can extend my existing Datafiles of a maxDB database (version 7.6)

I know about the auto_extend parameter, but that will create additional datafiles for the DB, while I am only interested to enlarge the existing datafiles.

Thx for your input.

Kind Regards

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

lbreddemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi there,

MaxDB does not offer to resize the data volumes.

Not online, not offline - there is no such feature.

What you can do instead is: create a new file with the size you like to have and drop the old one afterwards.

MaxDB will then copy all data from the dropped volume to all other volumes based on the freespace available in each remaining volume. That of course means that most of the data from the dropped volume is likely to be found in the newly created (and thus empty) volume.

regards,

Lars

0 Kudos

Hi Lars,

Thx for your swift reply.

Could you please describe exactely how to work?

Do I have to take the DB in admin mode then create additional file with the new desired size.

Then delete the old file and set the DB back online?

For example I have 2 datafiles of 1 GB, but I want only 1 file of lets say 10GB

So first create a third file of 10GB and then delete the 2 original datafiles would do the trick?

(I am a bit confused how it will be able to recover the data in the files you deleted and set it in the new file)

Kind Regards.

Edited by: Oxya Consulting on Jan 14, 2009 2:45 PM

lbreddemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi <whoever> ,

> Could you please describe exactely how to work?

Maybe you want to check the documentation yourself?

[http://maxdb.sap.com/documentation]

You can add/remove data volumes online while the database is fully operational.

Since backups are not taken on a file basis it simply doesn't matter what files there are at recoery time.

What's important is just that there is enough free space available, regardless if this space is stored in one or ten files.

When you drop a data volume MaxDB also removes the file from the filesystem, so you don't have to manually do anything on filesystem level.

regards,

Lars

Answers (0)