cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Conversion of Smart form to PDF in Webdypro UI

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Gurus,

I want to display a smart form as PDF by converting OTF to PDF and thereby passing the PDF format data to Interactive Form UI element in a Webdynpro application (via portal iview). Do I need ADS server for publishing the OTF converted PDF data in the Interactive Form UI element of the WDA framework.

Is there a better way to display a smartform in Webdynpro application by avoiding ADS?

Regards,

Subhadip

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Thomas,

Great to see reply from you. I still cherish the memories of your TechEd sessions that I have attended in 2007.

Well back to the topic I'm able to publish a Smartform as PDF via OTF conversion and passing the binary PDF string to pdfsource. While I'm testing the webdynpro application in the WebAS backend I can see the PDF screen with data but when I'm trying to run it from prortal as an iview I can only see a blank screen even without the PDF container. Can you please suggest me whether ADS is a requirement in this kind of scenario (ie portal integration via iview) or this different issue altogether. In case if you feel it's not due to ADS can you please give me a clue on the issue.

Regards,

Subhadip

thomas_jung
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
0 Kudos

ADS has nothing to do with this. If you supply a pdfSource then no call to ADS will occur. If it did try to call ADS and none existed you would get a short dump instead of just a blank screen.

If it works standalone, then it should work in the portal. Issue must be somewhere else, but it is difficult to say where. Do any of the SAP sample interactiveForms applications work in your Portal? Do any other non interactiveForm applications work in the Portal? Make sure that you don't have the interactiveForm marked as interactive - no reason to do so with such a conversion and it could lead to problems if it is trying to use the old acf based active-x control within the portal.

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Shubhadip,

Do check following document to display smartform in web dynpro:

https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/f0de1eb8-0b98-2910-7996-8a3c2fcf...

thomas_jung
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
0 Kudos

>Do I need ADS server for publishing the OTF converted PDF data in the Interactive Form UI element of the WDA framework.

No this doesn't require The ADS. ABAP has long had the functionality to convert OTF to PDF before the ADS was part of the architecture. When you use the interactiveForm UI element and supply a binary string with the PDF content for the pdfSource property, then no call is made to the ADS. The raw content you have bound to the UI element is used for the output.