Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can variables or parameters be used in authersation object in roles

h_vanengeland
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi all

We as a hospital have a lot of departments and are confronted with the need of creating 1500 roles.

The only thing that different between the roles are the departments in the authorization objects.

So we wondered if it's possible to use variables or parameters in the authorization objects in stat of the department.

Does some one know an answer?

henk

4 REPLIES 4

Former Member
0 Kudos

In R/3 as standard this is not available as far as I am aware.

Depending on what you are checking it is possible to create a custom development which acts as a variable and can perform a lookup against a table, but it is a very big development and may cost much more than the setup and maintainence of a role based solution

Former Member
0 Kudos

>

> The only thing that different between the roles are the departments in the authorization objects.

>

If you are sure of this, and that it won't change in future... then you might be interested in looking into Derived Roles.

You still need to set it up for the 1500 org child roles, but the maintenance of the rest in central in the parent role.

Might be worth looking into.

Cheers,

Julius

RainerKunert
Active Participant
0 Kudos

I also recommend to use derived roles.

But instead of maintaining hundreds of derived roles with the same master I would create one derived role, download the role, manipulate the download file so that it contains the data for all derived roles (f.e. with sed under Unix/Linux) and upload the file again.

This procedure may save a lot of time.

0 Kudos

> download the role, manipulate the download file so that it contains the data for all derived roles

I do agree (and use it myself as well, allbeit with Excel VBA routines) but this advise should be accompanied by the warning that :the checks in PFCG uploads are insufficient and minor flaws in your file can create an awfull mess. Practice a lot, and do this on sandbox clients/systems. Basically the fixed record length of table entries within the download files is something to very carefully watch. Having proper knowledge of the tables and data structure for roles is a must in my opinion.

If you search the forums for mass creation of (derived) roles with ECATT you'll find safer options as well. It may leave some manual work but that automatically includes all PFCG's checks and safeties.

Uploads skip more checks than I find comfortable......